Mild Fatty Liver Post-Op?

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 7:35 am

Hello all!

So, I have had some vague stomach discomfort recently (15 months post-op) and posted about it on here. My doctors sent me in for a sonogram thinking it likely would be gallbladder related. Well I just got the results and the only abnormality detected was "Mild fatty infiltration of the liver." Liver is normal in size/length and no lesions. Gallbladder a-ok along with all other tummy parts like pancreas and kidneys.

I am waiting for my doctor to give me a call back, but from what I have heard, mild fatty liver is pretty common with rapid weight-loss (I'm down 179 lbs. in those 15 months).

Has anyone else experienced this post-op? Should I be worried, or do these things generally resolve on their own? 

Any other experiences/advice are appreciated.

Thank you

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Valerie G.
on 10/18/16 9:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Fatty liver is common with obesity.  It's the reason why they make pre-ops go through those horrible liver shrinking diets.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 10:15 am

I am familiar with is as an obesity-related condition but have never had any issues with it pre-op (and at my heaviest), to my knowledge.

Now, I am at a normal weight/BMI, I've started having some discomfort that looks like it may be related to mild fatty liver. I suppose, then, if it's related to the previous obesity, then maybe it takes time to subside and does not necessarily correlate with weight-loss directly? Or perhaps it could be as a result of my rapid weight-loss?

Mostly I'm curious to see if anyone had such an experience at goal. I've searched the forums but everything I've found about fatty liver is related to pre-op lifestyle and obesity.

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/18/16 2:18 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Very first result on google:

However, rapid weight loss with or without surgery may lead to fatty liver since it spurs the liver to produce endogenous fatty acids to make up for the fat missing from the diet.3 This is a concern that merits further exploration within NAFLD research. (Source)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 7:18 pm, edited 10/18/16 12:19 pm

Yep! That's exactly what I had found but it was something I haven't heard of before - only in reference to pre-op and fatty liver as a by-product of obesity. Was curious if anyone personally experienced it and if it eventually resolved on it's own if related to rapid weight loss, or if some intervention was needed.

Donna L.
on 10/18/16 4:21 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

When we burn fat, the liver is involved in the biological process that results in utilizing both fat (and amino acids) for energy.  Rapid weight loss can cause it, as can starvation.  So can some drugs though, like corticosteroids (I'm not sure what other drugs, but those definitely).  I think estrogens and other similar hormone meds can, too, but I am not sure and most of my drug knowledge is for psych stuff.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 7:19 pm

Thank you! Have you experienced this, and if so, did it eventually resolve without any intervention? 

Donna L.
on 10/19/16 12:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I haven't.  Even super obese somehow I avoided this....but I also have had chronic low cholesterol.  Like, my cholesterol is currently 96.    

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics