VSG versus RNY

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/18/16 3:27 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

When I first started researching WLS, the lap-band scared me because I didn't like the idea of a foreign object in my body (and the fills,etc.). Good thing!  But RNY also scared me because of the malabsorbsion.  Fast forward a few years (with more weight under my belt), and I started researching again and read about VSG.  I felt it would accomplish what I needed (restriction), without the malabsorbsion. So here I am, 6.5 months post-op, under goal and taking the lowest dose of BP medication available.  And though I do get head hunger, I am learning how to deal with it and how to best appease real hunger.

I also had GERD, BTW, but my surgeon fixed a hiatal hernia and I don't need any medication for that now either.  I did think seriously about RNY when making my final decision because of the GERD and because I am a sweet lover, but in the end I was most comfortable with VSG.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 6:30 am

LizJustWantsHealth,

You have done fantastic since your surgery!!! You must be so proud!! My stats are similar to yours and I would love to be able to get to 125lbs!!  I'm 5'2" and 215lb now and hope to get down abit before surgery and with the Optifast 2 weeks before surgery as well. 

All your reasons for going with VSG are similar to mine.  I hope I will be just as successful!!  Thank you and best of luck with your continued journey and maintenance!!! 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/18/16 2:39 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Best of luck to you!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 3:57 pm

LizJustWantsHealth

Thank you so much!! 

kc82
on 10/18/16 7:54 am - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

When I started this journey, I was convinced RNY was the route for me because I had so much weight to lose (started at 311 lbs). My surgeon also thought the RNY would be a good choice for me. However once we did blood work, we discovered I was very anemic, therefore he felt like RNY could lead to bad things down the road for me, including blood transfusions. He then recommended VSG for me and since then, I've not looked back. I do not regret my decision to have VSG and now that I am 3.5 years post-op, I am thankful I didn't have the RNY. :)

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Starting Weight: 311 lbs
Current Weight: 160 lbs
Height:
5'3"
Surgery Date:
5/28/13

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 8:54 am

Kc82, 

What a cute baby!!!  Congratulations on your weight loss!!!  That's amazing!!  

So happy for you!! I hope I will be just as successful! I am also abit anemic, so malabsorption was something I was also worried about!!  

Best of luck on your continued maintenance!!  

Valerie G.
on 10/18/16 9:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Complications with sleeve are very minimal.  The main reason I see people getting revisions from sleeve are GERD or unacceptable results (where their body needed malabsorption in addition to restriction). Some never make goal, or some regain with a vengeance.  With GERD, the RNY will usually take care of that.  With regain or ineffectiveness, either the RNY or DS would be a suitable revision.  I'd recommend the DS since it also has a sleeve stomach.  No need to rip apart such artistry of a stomach.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 10:12 am

Valerie G,

I don't know much about the DS.  But it looks like you have been extremely successful with it!!  Congrats!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics