HELP I am in EXTREME agony

mzaja78
on 10/17/16 7:03 am
VSG on 04/13/14

Hey everyone. I have a quick question I am wondering if anyone has had this experience I am a couple years out from surgery period. I have lost a total of 87 pounds. I have been having, over the last couple weeks, some sharp pains in my tummy. Over the last week it has become increasingly painful for me to eat I have really bad chest pains after I eat and my stomach feels as though it is starting to pull apart or it's going to burst. No I am not over eating. This is after only 2 or 3 bites of food. I went to the ER they checked me for acid reflux me, and also they said I had a bit of gastritis. They gave me this medication called BMX and I am continuing on with my Prilosec. Has anyone had this experience and what came from this experience? I do not want to scare anyone off who has not had the surgery yet. This surgery has been life changing and I wouldn't change a thing. I feel amazing. I am no longer in heart failure. I am no longer a diabetic. And my blood pressure is under control for the first time since I was 19 years old. So as far as this is concerned this is a little blip on my radar but I just need some help. Any suggestions.

Anita
on 10/17/16 9:19 am

I wish I could help you, but as I'm not a doctor, I have no idea.....gall bladder???? hiatal hernia???? Sorry that I can't help....but I can send you good wishes for feeling better SOON and also congratulations for doing such a great job of weight loss.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Grim_Traveller
on 10/17/16 9:47 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Ulcer, hernia, stricture, or a hundred other things not connected to WLS. Call your surgeon.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 10/17/16 10:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Call your surgeon.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/17/16 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

ER doctors may not be familiar with post-WLS anatomy and may have missed something.

Skip Google, call your surgeon-- especially if you're in "extreme" pain.  You need someone to look at your specific medical situation, and none of us here can do, nor are trained to do, that.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 10/18/16 3:07 am

IMHO you need to see a gastro doc. I was also diagnosed with gastritis, and it got to the point where I had to constantly switch to a liquid diet to rest the digestive system. In my case, it turned out to be a large hiatel hernia in conjunction with the gallbladder needing to be removed. Not saying it is the same for you, but the gastric doc is the one that would rule out issues and identify the culprit. The acid is certainly something I can relate too. The ER doc would not know if you have a hernia unless an upper gi was done, or perhaps a ct scan. Even an endoscopy would not catch it, but the endoscopy would allow them to check for an ulcer. The hernia was originally diagnosed via a CT scan, and it surprised my surgeon. So much so he didn't trust the results and ordered an upper gi, where it was confirmed. 

The part that was frustrating is it took several months to get it resolved- nearly 6 in all. Gastritis/acid was treated first, and for a bit it did seem to help. Then came an ultrasound on the gallbladder, which confirmed it was loaded with gallstones. The only reason they caught the very large hiatel hernia is the gastric doc palpatated the abdomen, and there was an area that was painful when he smooshed it. I have a history of cancer so I was immediately sent in for a CT. By then, I was seeing the surgeon for the gallbladder to come out and got the results from the CT about the same time. Gallbladder surgery was scheduled, but he was going to hold off on the hernia repair due to wanting it confirmed via the upper gi. I have had a ridiculous amount of surgery over the past few years, and thank goodness was able to find someone to do an upper gi within 24 hours so the results were in before surgery a few days later. (Gi on a Friday, surgery on a Monday). The surgeon (same guy who did my sleeve) read the results literally as I was preop and prepping for gallbladder surgery. He added in the hernia surgery and also indicated that he might resleeve me due to it being so mishapen. Turned out, once he got the stomach back where it belonged the shape went back to reasonably normal so no risky resleeve. 

Anyway, this all happened 4 years out. The short of it, see a gastric doc.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

smallerccb
on 10/18/16 7:06 am
VSG on 10/08/15

Sounds like gallbladder.  Try and get into your surgeon or PCP.  I recently had gallstones and would be extremely nauseous after eating two bites of HEALTHY food...nothing fatty.  I had to go to the ER twice before they did an ultrasound to find it.  I had been eating a lot of nuts, avocados and good fats to help with my liver numbers, but I think that is what did in my gallbladder.

31F 5'6" High weight: 288 | Consult weight: 284 | Surgery weight: 284 | Current weight: 216

Donna L.
on 10/18/16 4:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Definitely call your surgeon.  I went to the ER for chest pain that wound up as likely GERD, and they couldn't even get what surgery I had straight ("You have a lapband, right?").  Then they could not comprehend that the bypass was not the only other surgery.  This was at one of the top 100 hospitals in the country, mind.  You need someone familiar with our anatomy.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics