I'm new here. :)

Raypac90
on 10/14/16 12:00 am
VSG on 07/08/14

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum! My name is Ray and had vsg surgery more than 2 years ago.  I've gone from weighing 552 pounds to now 395 pounds.  For a while though my weight-loss has been non-existent, it's been very frustrating and very discouraging.  During the course of my journey, I've had a couple of leg surgeries because of very painful varicose veins.  I've been finding it really hard to get back on track and was wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar.  I want to continue losing weight as I obviously have a long way to go.  Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated..

AK_Gipson
on 10/14/16 3:57 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Hi Ray! 

You have done an awesome job so far, so take a minute to remember that! then remember everything you did to do it.  I am battling a regain of 27 pounds so I had to do the same thing.

1. Log everything you are eating, I use my fitness pal app
  2. I had to lower calories, 1,000-1,100 to begin losing again but yours may be a different amount. What were you eating before when you lost?
  3. Limit carbs - I try to stay between 30-40 net carbs
  4. Exercise - and don't eat back the calories you burned. I started out walking on the treadmill for 5 minutes, 6 times a day... Just start :) 
  5. Get your fluids in - don't drink calories (sugar), protein shakes are included in this
  6. make sure you get your meds and vitamins in 

That's my basic plan :) hope it helps 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

kyzze
on 10/14/16 4:00 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Hi Raypac90 welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have done a great job so far with your weight loss but if you feel that you have gotten off track, or you or not losing as well as you would like, you may need to re-evaluate your habits, are you eating protein first, tracking what you eat, limiting your carb intake, drinking enough water, getting a little exercise in? Look into those things and make any changes that may need to be made and I bet you will see some results. Being active on this site is a great help as well as there or many knowledgeable people here and lots of encouragement. Wish you the best!

Kyzze

Gwen M.
on 10/14/16 5:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi Ray!  Great progress so far!  

Here's my advice - if you aren't doing it already, start weighing/measuring and logging everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  From there, work on getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
      a. Do not drink while eating or for 30 minutes after eating
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

Also, it's important to work on figuring out the reasons why you're off track - if you're not already, add a therapist to your team to help you work through the head stuff.  

You CAN do this.  You're a rockstar already!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

LeapSecond
on 10/14/16 5:32 am - AR

Welcome to the site Ray.  I have regained some and getting back on track is certainly the first step.  Sorry to hear about the painful varicose veins.  The recovery from vein surgery can be painful too.  I track calories.  It is what I've done that works.  Protein first, limit carbs.  Hope this helps.  I look forward to your posts.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/14/16 8:40 am

You've done an amazing job so far - congratulations!  

I'm in a similar position of trying to get back on track.  Two things I did today that you might want to consider for yourself...  First, is to contact your surgeons office and make an appointment.  Second, if you aren't doing it already to start tracking your food intake.

I actually went back to an app I was using back in my "losing" days to keep track of food. It's been eye opening to see how much and how often I've been eating!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

Grim_Traveller
on 10/14/16 10:41 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Welcome Ray. We have some things in common. I started out with a high weight of 475, and I also had vein surgeries on both legs.

What works for me is weighing and logging everything I eat. I eat dense protein, and it keeps me satisfied for the longest amount of time. When I go off the rails, it's always crappy carbs. You have to get rid of that stuff.

Stick around. It really helps keep your head in the game. It's hard work, but you can do it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

missc_26
on 10/14/16 5:01 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi Grim Traveller,

You give some great advice out on the forums. When you say dense proteins can you give some examples? I'm newly VSG but keen to prepare myself as much as possibe and really value your thoughts.

C

Kathy S.
on 10/14/16 12:00 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Ray  

You have done an amazing job and Welcome to your new family.  Everyone here is great and they will help you get things moving 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics