Oh joy! I have oral thrush!

psychoticparrot
on 10/13/16 4:34 pm

Saw the dentist today. He confirmed I have oral thrush (a yeast infection in my mouth -- yeeeccchhhhh!). It's currently a small patch on one of my tonsils but it's slowly spreading. Dentist said to be sure to keep my yearly appointment with my bariatric surgeon next month and get all the bloodwork done. Of course, I googled "thrush in adults" as soon as I got home. I learned that thrush can occur if the person is:

1. Elderly (I'm 65. Strike 1.)
  2. Taking inhaled corticosteroids (I have asthma and have used this type of medication for years. Strike 2.)
  3. Suffering from nutritional deficiencies (always a possibility for sleevers even with vitamin/mineral supplements, which I take religiously. Possible Strike 3.)

There are other causes of thrush, some more sinister than the above, but I don't think I fit the parameters for them.

Has anyone else had this condition? Is it more common among sleevers than in the normal-stomached? I read that untreated thrush can spread and have serious health implications. Don't like the sound of that.

Any advice and information will be welcome.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

hollykim
on 10/13/16 4:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM Pacific Time, psychoticparrot wrote:

Saw the dentist today. He confirmed I have oral thrush (a yeast infection in my mouth -- yeeeccchhhhh!). It's currently a small patch on one of my tonsils but it's slowly spreading. Dentist said to be sure to keep my yearly appointment with my bariatric surgeon next month and get all the bloodwork done. Of course, I googled "thrush in adults" as soon as I got home. I learned that thrush can occur if the person is:

1. Elderly (I'm 65. Strike 1.)
  2. Taking inhaled corticosteroids (I have asthma and have used this type of medication for years. Strike 2.)
  3. Suffering from nutritional deficiencies (always a possibility for sleevers even with vitamin/mineral supplements, which I take religiously. Possible Strike 3.)

There are other causes of thrush, some more sinister than the above, but I don't think I fit the parameters for them.

Has anyone else had this condition? Is it more common among sleevers than in the normal-stomached? I read that untreated thrush can spread and have serious health implications. Don't like the sound of that.

Any advice and information will be welcome.

psychoticparrot

thrush can also be caused from taking antibiotics. It should be treated with an oral anti fungal that you "" swish and swallow".

it is not from having VSG.

psychoticparrot
on 10/13/16 5:15 pm

I did read that antibiotics can upset the flora/fauna microorganism balance and cause thrush, but I haven't taken any antibiotics in the past 8 months. My dentist told me that if the thrush worsens and causes discomfort, he will prescribe an anti-fungal medication. I wouldn't even have known I had it if my dentist hadn't spotted it.

psychoticparrot

Gwen M.
on 10/13/16 5:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I've never had it, but I have always been advised to rinse my mouth out after using an inhaled corticosteroid to help to prevent it.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 10/13/16 7:05 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

I actually got it two days after my EGD. Took the nystatin the Surgeon prescribed and it cleared by surgery. Then it returned right after surgery. I'm guessing from all the antibiotics. Never had it before now or any problems with antibiotics. I'm on another round of nystatin, i make sure to eat greek yogurt everyday and am taking a probiotic to help. Be sure to change your tooth brush once its gone so you dont re contaminate yourself. I've seen people post about it before in this forum, so if you search for thrush in the forum, you might get some help or info on it. 

psychoticparrot
on 10/13/16 9:56 pm

Thanks. I've read that thrush can often be difficult to eradicate. There was nothing on the websites I looked up that said yogurt could help, but it sounds logical that it should. Yogurt it is, every day until this is gone (I really dislike yogurt. Sigh.) 

Did read about changing the toothbrush. Thanks for the reminder.

psychoticparrot

Naomi S.
on 10/13/16 7:56 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I have oral thrush right now. I'm on my second prescription of the nystatin. 

I'm pretty sure i had it at my 3-month post op appt, but the provider wouldn't even look at my tongue, it wasn't until I went to the urgent care clinic a month later because I couldn't stand the sores on my tongue that I got diagnosed.  I called my surgeon's office to let them know, and the nurse said this far out from surgery, there's no connection to the surgery.  I still wonder...

Naomi

LeapSecond
on 10/14/16 5:21 am - AR

If you don't like yogurt you might try kefir and or kombucha tea. I don't have any research but they are supposed to be full of the right kind of yeast to normalized the wrong kind of yeast.   

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

KansasPrincess
on 10/14/16 5:49 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

my 72 yr old grandpa gets it all the time from his inhalers for his copd/emphysema. I haven't had it myself and im 1 yr post op. maybe all my labs are good not sure yet I have my 1 yr follow up on the 25th. I would say its probably going to be the inhalers. your dentist should have a mouth wash you can buy mine was 18.00 and it supposed to kill bacteria in your mouth with out the alcohol. may want to ask the dentist about that.  good luck !

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

Most Active
Recent Topics