2 different sleeves?

pammieanne
on 10/13/16 12:17 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

So I have a friend that just had the VSG surgery. She keeps telling me that there are two different types of sleeves... one that they actually cut the stomach out and just leave a banana-shaped stomach in it's place... the other being where they somehow staple off the stomach, but leave the remnants attached?

I had RNY in May, so I'm fairly certain she's not talking about RNY...

So are ya'll familiar with this? If so, what's the general consensus/ popular way that it's mostly done?? And Why? I'm mostly just curious!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Donna L.
on 10/13/16 12:48 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Scopinaro's procedure utilized a large stomach pouch with the biliopancreatic diversion that we now see more commonly done in the form of the duodenal switch.  Dr. Hess (I think?) is the one who first utilized the sleeve gastrectomy instead.  I haven't seen anyone actually perform it currently, but I actually don't know much else about it.  Here's more info on it.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

pammieanne
on 10/13/16 1:12 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

OK, I tried, but honestly, that's like reading a science book...

Is the link what is referred to as VSG here on this board? (It seems more like D/S that I've heard about)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Donna L.
on 10/13/16 1:32 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Nope!

The VSG is shaped like a banana.  The old procedure is like a big round pouch.  VSG only refers to the sleeve gastrectomy... "sleeve" means it's long and narrow and preserves the valve at the bottom of your stomach.  The other does not.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 10/14/16 5:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Scopinaro made more of a pouch like RNY, but he still removed the rest of the stomach.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

heidikat72
on 10/13/16 12:53 pm - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

is she talking about vertical banded gastroplasty (the old stomach stapling procedure from the 80's)?

pammieanne
on 10/13/16 1:13 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

That's what I'm thinking too!

I was just curious what people on this board commonly have done and call VSG.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/13/16 1:52 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I think your friend is referring to a procedure called ESG, Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty. Mind you I'm going by a pamphlet that I got when I went to the OH conference.

In VSG the majority of the stomach is removed leaving a banana shaped stomach. In the ESG it looks like the tube is re created but the stomach stays there, but it is not for the morbidly obese & those that don't qualify for gastric bypass.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

hollykim
on 10/13/16 2:27 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 13, 2016 at 7:17 PM Pacific Time, pammieanne wrote:

So I have a friend that just had the VSG surgery. She keeps telling me that there are two different types of sleeves... one that they actually cut the stomach out and just leave a banana-shaped stomach in it's place... the other being where they somehow staple off the stomach, but leave the remnants attached?

I had RNY in May, so I'm fairly certain she's not talking about RNY...

So are ya'll familiar with this? If so, what's the general consensus/ popular way that it's mostly done?? And Why? I'm mostly just curious!

she could bebtalking about plication,  where a sleeve is made and the remnant stomach is plicated or folded over and stapled like an accordion.

Valerie G.
on 10/14/16 5:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's not Scopinaro, which is pretty dangerous itself.  Scopinaro also removed the unused stomach, but he took a different part of the stomach and did more of a pouch-shape...so we're still talking gastrectomy.  

The sleeve was the first half of the duodenal switch for many years, and with those who weren't in good enough health for the entire DS, it was recommended as a two-part procedure, and they would complete the switch after about a year or 100lb loss.  The fun part is that many were losing all that they needed with the sleeve alone and never went back to complete the DS surgery.  That's what inspired the VSG as a stand-alone procedure and made it widely accepted.

I'm thinking what your friend is referring to may be the old stomach stapling procedure from way back when -- equally barbaric as the Scopinaro BPD.  If she's found a surgeon selling that, she needs to look away, and fast.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics