24hour ph test showing no acid reflux? Resleeve but he uses a size 40boogie

Donna L.
on 10/13/16 4:58 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Ha.  

To be fair, there is one study (sadly I don't have the link) with a 5% difference in weight loss at most between bougie sizes, which is the difference of like 1-4 pounds on average. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

califsleevin
on 10/13/16 8:13 pm - CA

Yeah, it's that "bougie envy" thing that some are infatuated with. My wife has a huge stomach relative to ours (typical DS bougie at the time would have been a 56-60) which is consistent with her nominal stomach size of about 4 oz at time of surgery, vs mine that was 2.5 oz and probably a typical VSG 34 or 36 bougie (if he even used one - I never asked and still don't care - it works and still does,) but her functional meal capacity isn't markedly greater than mine - maybe 25% at best and sometimes less. As they like to say with other size arguments, it's how you use it more than how big (or small) it is.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/14/16 7:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, and 1 - 4 lb difference is NOT worth (IMO) literally demanding that a surgeon use the bougie size you request, or threatening to find a different doctor.

Calling him out on that one is what got me blocked ;)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 10/14/16 10:27 am, edited 10/14/16 3:30 am - CA

Most particularly instructing a surgeon as to what tools he is to use. You are buying a package from him with expected results indicated by general results data for that procedure and data specific to that practice (and hopefully, relevant to patients similar to yourself.) While threatening to go to a different doctor in order to get your way with one is bad form, and not a good way to get good results, one should not be shy about getting second opinions and vetting several different practices. I fully agree with Frisco that a surgeon who tells you that you should expect about 60% EWL will probably deliver 60% EWL and you might want to look for one who is more optimistic - expectations can certainly drive results. If a doc routinely uses a 38 Fr (or worry about carb counts,) and averages 90% EWL, who is to argue that he is using the "wrong" tools?

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Donna L.
on 10/14/16 12:25 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I agree.

A surgeon can't really predict EWL based on physiology alone, is the thing.  Any surgeon who does boast it should, I agree, be able to follow up.  Almost all of it is based on individual psychology and support outside the surgeon's office. A surgeon is a great general, but as with all war, it's the troops that matter and the terrain.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 10/14/16 12:37 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Stomach length is a factor in capacity too, I'd imagine, as all our stomachs are different lengths within a range.  So even if you use a 30f, you may have more capacity than someone with a "shorter" stomach.  Also, how close they staple makes a big difference too.  You can't just go in like a maniac and staple too close with some sort of maniacal laughter.

White Dove
on 10/13/16 6:55 pm - Warren, OH

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics