Got my surgery date! ... but I'm struggling with anxiety, and this clear liquid it ain't helpin'

Tricie89
on 10/10/16 8:19 pm

Thank you!! So inspiring to read everyones story! 14 days and 12 lbs?! that's awesome!!! You all are seriously my heroes on here. Thank you so much for the advice and support, and I wish you continued success on your journey!

Donna L.
on 10/10/16 10:54 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hey Tricie, that's great you are taking this step!!  Good luck!

The liquid diet was hideous torture for me, too.  I was near your weight currently when I was at surgery too.  It was the hardest thing I've ever done.  This is how I got through it:

I made sure to see friends as often as possible.  I kept busy.

I avoided food situations that were too hard to handle.  I avoided pizza, buffets, etc.  I recruited buddies to do non-food activities instead, like movies at home, board games, rewatching fave TV shows, listening to great music.

When I absolutely could not prevent myself from eating I hate SF jello or SF popsicles, which both count as liquids.  This helped a lot.

I kept my hands busy.  I learned to crochet and knit.  I still crochet ( but I may be dangerous to myself and others with knitting needles, lol).

The main thing is to not leave a void where eating was.  Replace it with something else that is healthy and productive.  Even squeezy toys for your hands will help.  Squeeze a stress ball, play with a toy, etc. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Tricie89
on 10/10/16 8:14 pm

Yes! So much amazing advice on here today. I'm taking it all and running. I've been grinding my teeth through this, I would much rather squeeze a stress ball or get out and do some walking! I used t crochet all of the time too, so I'm thinking it may be time for me to get back at it. I'm about to start binge watching some tv shows, and I'm also a writer, so the two novels I'm working on right now should keep me plenty busy. Keeping my hands busy and y mind occupied with positive thoughts, and story scenes may be the only way I will be able to stay away the meals that keep filling my dreams. lol. I had a dream that I ate a piece of toast last night (sad ... I know.) I was so made at myself in the dream, but so happy when I woke up that it was just a dream. 

Thank you so much for the advice! Much appreciated!!

EvaWantsChange
on 10/10/16 6:37 pm, edited 10/10/16 11:40 am - mississauga, Canada

Congrats on your surgery date hun. I am going on day 8 of my liquid diet and honestly it's hard at first. I'm doing the diet for 3weeks. I am only to have optifast alone or broth (chicken beef or vegetable) or jelly. It was very hard from day 1 -4 but it was hella easy by day 6. It's all about your mindset and how bad u want to lose weight. This week alone on the liquid diet I lost 15 pounds. I was shocked. I'm sure most of it was water weight but it's still makes me want to not cheap and keep going. Stay on theses supportive sites and groups on fb really helped me to stay focused.  I go walking everyday and I drink a lot if water in between my shakes. Girl u can do it if I can do it for 8days so fa. Today is Thanksgiving in Canada and I watched everyone eat without a care in the world. We have goals to meet and dedication will help u. I'm always here if u need positive motivation. I also struggled at first just remind yourself you want to be a better you. *hugs*

Tricie89
on 10/10/16 8:07 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! Wow, how inspiring. You got through Thanksgiving! You're my hero right now!! Today has definitely been easier than yesterday. Been a tired, and was down a bit, but I'm thankful that I'm not feeling as sick to my stomach as I was on day one. Day two is almost over, then 8 more days to go! Hoping that I can pull some strength for you and all the wonderful supportive people on here, and get to that surgery day without surrendering to all the tempting goodies surrounding me lol. Thank you for the reply and support!!! *Hugs*

Peeches
on 10/12/16 3:42 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

You can do this.  You ARE doing this!  You're a rockstar! 

This first week of liquid diet pre-op made me really *****y. The second week weren't nothin. I had the same dream as you with the toast. ;)

You are following in the footsteps of many successful and determined people. If they can do it, so can you. NOBODY is better than you!

Best, Lory

Peeches
on 10/12/16 3:43 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

twitchy? witchy? snitchy?  you get the idea

Tricie89
on 10/13/16 8:37 pm

Thank you! I'm on day five, and I'm still pushing forward. Five more days to surgery. I don't know weather to be excited or nervous, lol.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. much needed and appreciated!

niksvsgjournee
on 10/13/16 10:24 am

I feel you on the mental battle, my date isnt until December and I wonder about this liquid diet EVERYDAY.  I finally made an account after reading the boards for the past year while I do my nutrition visits and had insurance issues but I know it will be all worth it in the end. 

takingarisk3825
on 10/14/16 6:44 am
Most Active
Recent Topics