Got my surgery date! ... but I'm struggling with anxiety, and this clear liquid it ain't helpin'

Tricie89
on 10/9/16 5:17 pm

Hey!

I'm new to obesity help and the wls community as a whole. It was only a short time ago (after a long time of considering) that I decided WLS was for me. 

So let me give a bit of info about myself. My name is Tricie, I'm 27 years old, and I don't remember a time in my life when weight wasn't an issue. I've struggled through elementary, through middle school, high school, college, all the way until now, and I've gotten to the point where I know that something needs to be done. I've tried everything, diets, pills, starving myself, I even struggled with an eating disorder for a long time in my early twenties. I lost the most weight then, but upon getting better I gain a significant amount of weight. My highest weight was 465 lbs. I'm now 433 lbs, and I've just started my clear liquid diet, and my surgery is in 9 days. 

While I am incredibly excited to begin my journey, I find that I've been experiencing a lot of distress lately. I'm nervous about the surgery, which is normal I know, but my usual way of dealing with such stress is snacking .... sigh , yes, I stress eat. Which makes being on this clear liquid diet for the next 10 days TORTURE. I'm hungry, and on top of that, I'm stressed.

My question for anyone who has been through this is ... How the heck did you make it through your liquid diet?? I'm only on day one, and I'm already freaking out. It's depressing, because I was hoping I'd be stronger than this. I haven't messed up or anything, I just ... I don't really feel like I can make it on only liquids, and it sucks, because I really want this, but I keep asking myself why I'm putting myself through all of this when there is a huge possibility that I may fail ...

But yes ... I hope this all makes sense. I'm all jumbled up in the head right now. I'm sorry that my first post on here is so depressing. : )

Have a great day everyone. And good luck to everyone on your journeys! 

Gwen M.
on 10/9/16 5:54 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi there!  

The liquid diet sucks.  You get through it because you force yourself to do it because of the payoff at the end.  It does get a bit better by day 3-4.  But, yeah, it just sucks.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tricie89
on 10/9/16 8:20 pm

Lol, agreed. I'm forcing myself to get through this, and so so hoping that it gets even the smallest bit easier after a few days! Thank you replying to my post, much appreciated!!!

Gwen M.
on 10/10/16 5:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I wish I had some magic answer that would make it better!  But.. yeah :P  I'm sure that most of us here who have gone through it sympathize 100%.  So maybe just trying to remember "Hey, other people have done this and survived, I can too" might help?  (This is what I tell myself during my Anatomy class!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dimpleslya79
on 10/9/16 6:20 pm
VSG on 08/09/16

Congrats on getting your surgery date!  I can remember I was nervous and ready to back out until the day of surgery but I am so grateful that I went through it.  The liquid diet SUCKS and is TORTURE but the way I got through was just telling myself that 14 days in the grand scheme of things is actually a short amount of time.  Now I am 2 months post-op and it seems like eons ago... I'm exaggerating...lol...but you can do this!!! 

WL: Pre-op: -14.2 M1: -19.2 M2:-16.6 M3: -15 M4: -12.8 M5: -12.6

M6: -11.2 M7: -6.8 M8: -5.8 Total: 114.2 lbs

Tricie89
on 10/9/16 8:18 pm

Yes! That gives me hope. 2 months out!!! I'm so happy for you, and wish you luck on your journey. Thank you for the advice. You're so right, and it helps that today went by incredibly fast. I'm hoping everyday does. 

cappy11448
on 10/9/16 8:49 pm

I think the pre-surgery liquid diet is the hardest part.  After surgery, you've got the new tummy to help you, and the physiological changes make a difference.  But that pre-surgery diet is tough.  If you were eating carbs before starting the liquid diet, then you may be doing the carb withdrawal now.  That makes it even harder.  But it will get better in a few days.

So hang in there.  You can do this -- its not forever.  It will be easier once the carbs are out of your system.  And then after surgery it will be easier, too.

And it is so worth the effort.  I started the weight loss process at 385 pounds, and I lost 225 pounds.  I've been maintaining at 160 pounds for about 2 years now.  It feels so good to be a normal weight.  It isn't easy.  I still have to work at it every day to manage the obesity,  but the surgery makes it possible. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tricie89
on 10/10/16 8:42 pm

Yes ... what you said. That sound SO right!! It felt like withdraw. A little better today, but the 'hunger pains' are still there sometimes, and it make me feel so nauseous, I hate it. But I'm pushing through. Reading Stories like yours are so inspiring! 225 lbs?!! That's amazing, and my dream! I'm so happy for you. What an amazing accomplishment. I hope I can be as successful, thank you so much for sharing your story, and lending such helpful advice! I'm so grateful!!

missc_26
on 10/10/16 12:54 am
VSG on 10/03/16

I totally understand how hard the liquid diet is and why it is causing you anxiety. This is really normal and you just gotta dig deep and believe you can do this - cause you can!

Real chicken or other bone broth has loads of nutrients and helps balance out your cravings by giving you the nutrients you need. Also, if you are able try to get some new exercise in. I have mobility issues so even practicing simple things like 5 mins of walking, arm lifts or anything actually takes you to a different head space even if it's just for a little while.

I even hid from everyone and everything the week before my surgery to protect myself from temptation. Do whatever you gotta do, you can do this and it is going to be so worth it.  That's not to say it's an easy option at all,  it's a process and you are starting the journey.  Hold your head up and know we've got your back here any time you need some support.

takingarisk3825
on 10/10/16 7:37 am

So during the liquid stage we can have bone broth or chicken broth? 

Most Active
Recent Topics