Had surgery Monday, 10/3/16, discharged from hospital yesterday, 10/7/16. Feeling...

Peeches
on 10/9/16 11:35 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

Thanks, Cali--

I appreciate the numbers. :)

The take home message is loud and clear--I'm working on the hydration.  Doesn't it seem a little strange that the protein "requirements" should be the same for everyone, men and women, short and tall?  I pureed some protein powder with greek yogurt and Fairlife milk this morning--not horrible UNTIL i had to crush the meds and mix them in.  As if this food weren't already bad enough with no appetite!

Does anyone have advice on getting bitter, nasty, meds down without wrecking the already meh taste of the food?  If it ain't one thing, it's another!

YMMV.  Ha! Had to look that one up.  

Thanks again, 

Lory

califsleevin
on 10/10/16 8:43 am, edited 10/10/16 1:55 am - CA
On October 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM Pacific Time, Peeches wrote:

Thanks, Cali--

I appreciate the numbers. :)

The take home message is loud and clear--I'm working on the hydration.  Doesn't it seem a little strange that the protein "requirements" should be the same for everyone, men and women, short and tall?  I pureed some protein powder with greek yogurt and Fairlife milk this morning--not horrible UNTIL i had to crush the meds and mix them in.  As if this food weren't already bad enough with no appetite!

Does anyone have advice on getting bitter, nasty, meds down without wrecking the already meh taste of the food?  If it ain't one thing, it's another!

YMMV.  Ha! Had to look that one up.  

Thanks again, 

Lory

The protein requirement differences aren't surprising at all. Our basic maintenance level of protein depends upon our lean body mass (fundamentally muscle mass - organs plus all the muscles holding our bones together.) We can have widely varying muscle masses depending upon our sex and overall height and ideal build. A short woman (say, 5'0-1") may have an ideal weight of around 100lb, and a typical or normal body fat percentage of around 25%, meaning she has a lean body mass of around 75 lb to support with her protein intake. An average man of 5'10" or so would have an typical ideal weight of around 165lb, with a typical or normal body fat percentage of around 15%, meaning that he has a lean body mass of about 140lb - almost twice that of the short woman (women typically carry more fat as "normal" to support child bearing functions.) So, a short woman would typically have a protein requirement of around 50g per day while the average man will be closer to 100g per day. This is how we get these generalized ballpark numbers of 60ish g per day of protein for women (or often a range of 60-80g) with 80-100g or more for men. I carry a little over 150lb of lean mass (depending upon who is measuring....) which works out to an approximate requirement of about 105g per day to maintain it. If I were interested in increasing my muscle mass, then that requirement may go up to around 150g per day to provide the material for building that additional muscle (in addition to the actual physical work that is involved!)

So, this is an area where the ladies have a little easier time with it, having a lower protein goal. On the other hand, that additional lean mass that guys typically carry usually means a somewhat higher metabolic rate, which leads to the somewhat easier weight loss that we typically see with guys.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Gwen M.
on 10/8/16 6:49 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Right now your primary concern needs to be hydration.  Protein can come later.  You need to work first on getting in 64ounces of liquids - whatever you can tolerate.  Try different temps, different additives.  Drink shakes.  Plans are often one size fits all and your stomach might not be ready for pureed foods yet.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Peeches
on 10/9/16 11:38 am, edited 10/9/16 4:38 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

Ah, Gwen, that sounds perfect!  It's water and shakes for me today.  The yogurt mixed with the medicine did me in this AM 

I can't imagine doing this without people to ask who will come to your aid.  

Thank you, 

Lory

NYMom222
on 10/8/16 8:58 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

As everyone has said focus on liquids- #1 requirement. If the protein drinks go down easy, no reason not to add them. Just don't make it a stress thing. Take as big a sip as you want as long as it is agreeing with you. It is liquid, you will not hurt yourself...they are more worried about overdoing and making yourself nauseous and vomiting or something. As long as you are feeling OK with the liquids - take in as much as you can.

Good Luck, and feel better

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Peeches
on 10/9/16 10:29 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

Thanks, Mom!  :)

Lory

TimeToHealRich2016
on 10/9/16 12:47 am - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

Congrats on the sleeve successful surgery.  Took me 6 days to get up to 64 oz liquid and 60g protein so don't sweat it.  You will get there on your own pace and see things happen.  Agree with other that liquids are most important and that you try and get rest.  Rest will help your body until energy and protein get lined up.  You can read my blog if you want to see how things went the first few weeks.  Rich in SoCal.

HW: 447 SW: 415 GW: 240 CW: 339 Total WL = 110

WL: Pre-op: -32 M1: -27 M2: -19 M3: -14 M4: -9 M5 & M6: -9 in progress

Peeches
on 10/9/16 10:27 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

Rich, 

Thank you for your encouragement and taking the time to read my post.  I think I will try harder on the water and lay off a little on the food.  I am not hungry at all, but thought that maybe the protein was necessary for my body to heal. A little extra rest probably wouldn't hurt either. I do try to get up and walk around when I eat and drink because it is less uncomfortable.  I will check out your blog. Thank you again.  

Lory

Renren
on 10/9/16 11:40 am
VSG on 12/02/15

In the beginning my sips were more like drops, that's all I could do. So I sipped constantly. It was a Full time job at first. But a couple of weeks later I could drink a 16 oz bottle of water in about 30 minutes. Try different temperatures. Warm broth was sometimes easier than cold stuff. Then at times cold was better. Just do what works each day. It changes, but it also gets better quickly. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Peeches
on 10/9/16 11:51 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

Thank you, Renren. I got a little overzealous with the chicken broth on Friday evening. Waiting to clear up the bad juju--stepping away from warm for the moment.  When you started out, were your sips uncomfortable at all?  They are a little twinge-ish for me, but it passes quickly. I am not nauseated, and count that as a good thing.

Who knew a person could have so many questions about 60 ounces of water!

Lory

Most Active
Recent Topics