Newbie Here

gmejia
on 10/5/16 5:27 pm
VSG on 08/24/16

I finally decided to post for the first time after lurking around for a few months. I was sleeved Aug. 24, so I'm exactly 6 weeks post op. I have lost 58 lbs total since May and 28 of those with surgery.  I feel great and have gotten many compliments. I'm supposed to see the Dr. for my 6 week post op appt on Monday and I'm hoping to be cleared for exercise. So here's my question: how soon after surgery can you go through the infamous "3 week stall?" I've stayed at this weight for almost two weeks now and it's not fun (waaa!!)

Anita
on 10/5/16 8:18 pm

first of all......welcome to the board and WELCOME to the Loser's Bench.

Great job on the weight coming off!

I think stalls happen to just about everyone at some point...........mine happened at exactly 3 weeks and even though the scale refused to move, my clothes kept getting bigger and bigger..........or more importantly....I was getting smaller and smaller. Stop focusing on the numbers on the scale for now.........it frustrates us and proves nothing. Focus instead on a) how you feel and b) how your clothes fit. Those are better indicators for now and if you do that, one day soon, you'll suddenly see a drop in the numbers on the scale too. Don't worry....it'll happen. Remember to get in all your protein and fluid before you go to any other foods......follow the plan and it WILL happen.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

gmejia
on 10/6/16 4:43 pm
VSG on 08/24/16

Thank you so much for taking your time to respond! You're very right about not weighing. I guess it's hard to break that habit because seeing the numbers go down on the scale was the focal point with every attempt to lose weight for years before having the surgery (and there were many!).  Sometimes I wake up and I still can't believe I've had this surgery done. I'm super excited about continuing to lose!! Consuming the required amount of protein has been a challenge since I work long hours and sometimes I don't get to finish my food. Then when I do have the chance, I rather drink water because I'm thirsty. It's something I still have to learn to do. Again, thanks for your response!! It's appreciated :)

Anita
on 10/6/16 7:46 pm

One of the things I've learned to do....since I also have a hard time getting in all my protein on some days.......I start off my day with a shake that has at least 30+ grams. I also found a product (I think here on OH) called MuscleGen (got it on Amazon) and a scoop adds 30g of protein to whatever you put it in.....so with my 30+ grams from my shake, I suddenly have 60+...........my nutritionist said she'd check it out and get back to me if it was not as advertised and since I haven't heard from her, I'm taking that as it being good. Once I do that, just about everything else is a bonus cause it's easy to get another 5+ grams. If I'm hungry, I go for a protein bar that has less than 5g of sugar, very low carbs and at least 15 g of protein.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active
Recent Topics