It's becoming a nervous journey....

One Bad Beach
on 10/4/16 12:34 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

First off, let's start from the top.....

I have been overweight....obese, even....for as long as I can remember.  I'm only 33, I have three young children, and I enjoy being outside (aka farm life).  I can never remember a time when I didn't want to be healthier.  I have two sisters whom have both had WLS, and I've been jealous that they were able to do this, and I wasn't.  I now have the means and the insurance to get this done and get healthy.  I have been thinking about WLS for over 10 years, and felt that my husband wasn't going to be very supportive about it.  Well....I worked up my courage earlier this year, and he surprised the heck out of me by saying, "Make an appointment!"

His only question to me was, "why?"  Here's the answer, folks.  I look at my mother and father, both morbidly obese, and I see myself, and that is scary.  I don't want my kids to be in their early thirties and wonder if this will be the last time they hear their mother's voice.  You see, it's not about being thin...that's an added benefit...it's about LIVING!  I want to see my husband walk my daughter down the aisle.  I want to hold my grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren.  I want to be able to see all three of my kids graduate from college.

So here we are!  My first appointment with my surgeon was on 9/7/16, psych evaluation on 9/17/16, EGD on 9/21/2016, and a mandatory class on 9/23/2016.  Tomorrow, I have an appointment to go in and discuss the results of the EGD/find out which surgery he thinks is best, and to see the nutritionist.  These two encounters are the last two things needed before all of my information goes to the insurance for approval.  I am aware that my insurance may deny, then I repeal, etc.

I want this done before the end of the year....that said, does this seem like it's been moving pretty fast?  I mean, I haven't even been on this journey for a month, and here we are about to send information in for approval.  I am happy that it hasn't taken the normal six to twelve months, but I'm starting to get a little nervous.  Is this normal......anyone else been nervous at how fast this can happen? 

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

kc82
on 10/4/16 12:46 pm - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

Way to go on doing your research and getting your life back! It's a scary, yet exciting journey for sure! The process does go fairly fast to be honest! I started my journey in January 2013 and was sleeved in May 2013. Very fast! You got this! I'm 3.5 years post op now. :)

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Starting Weight: 311 lbs
Current Weight: 160 lbs
Height:
5'3"
Surgery Date:
5/28/13

ILoveFlowers
on 10/4/16 12:47 pm

I'm jealous.  I've been on this journey for over two years!  It's taking forever!!!  When something is meant to happen, God moves mountains and makes the way.  Just trust that this will happen when it's meant to happen.  For some, sooner.  For others, like me, later.  It's all good in the end.  

One Bad Beach
on 10/7/16 9:42 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Thank you for the reply.  God has been looking after me more than I realize.  I'm hoping you get good news soon! :)

Corneygirl
on 10/4/16 4:56 pm

Good for you for making the decision to move forward.  I fought the idea for years and once I finally made the decision to get surgery I went forward with full steam.  I had to have a couple of additional medical appointments (sleep study, upper GI and endoscopy) along with the two nutritionist and two psych appointments.  I got through the appointments, got insurance approval and surgery completed in two months, and 28 days (Yes, I was counting).  

I wasn't so nervous that it went fas as I was more concerned it was going to take forever.  Just know you are making the right decision.

I am one week post-op and I can't say it's been a cake walk, but it certainly has been manageable.  I did the surgery for health reasons and it paid off (diabetes and high blood pressure totally gone)!

I hope you get your date soon and good luck on your journey!!

One Bad Beach
on 10/7/16 9:49 am
RNY on 11/28/16

I'm counting, too!  I thought I would be excited, but I'm a little nervous, which, I guess, is to be expected with any major surgery.  I was very concerned that this was going to take forever, but the surgeon did say that after insurance approval, we will have this done by end of year.

He did speak with me about the GERD that can sometimes come later on after VSG and recommended that I have the RNY.  I'm not saying that I'm unhappy about that, but....little backstory here....He said that he can do a little bit of work and I can still have the sleeve, but the chances of the GERD never coming back is at 80%, which is a pretty good percentage for medicine... The percentage of a tubal ligation failure is at 0.1-0.5%.  Mine failed, so I don't put my stock into the 80% rate since I fell into the >1% cagegory there.

So, I'm having RNY, and I am a little excited because this means that my goals will be achieved sooner than later!

Thank you for the encouragement.

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/16 9:05 am

Congrats on taking this life saving step! FYI- I saw my surgeon on 9/7 for the first time and met all the requirements by November 1. My surgery was done on 12/7- exactly three months later. For some it does go fast. 

Most Active
Recent Topics