Tummy Discomfort - 13 Months Post-Op?

FuturePinUp
on 10/3/16 10:34 am

Hello all! I have a question regarding an odd tummy issue I have been experiencing over the last few days. To start off, I have had an exceptionally side-effect free time since I first got my VSG, so this is a first for me.

Over the last few days, I have been experiencing a sort of...discomfort that I think is coming from ether the center or upper left quadrant of my body. It's not painful, just kind of unpleasant, and feels like maybe a bloat or fullness that is amplified during/after I eat or drink. It seems to be paired with extra belching. It's also sort of uncomfortable to lay on my stomach after a few minutes due to this. Nothing has changed in terms of my diet or anything.

I had an endoscopy about 3 weeks ago, just as part of a check-up, and the only thing they saw as a potential problem was that my acid production was still pretty high and I left with a prescription to up my PPI from 40mg to 80mg a day. So of course, I started freaking out about ulcers.

I'm thinking maybe it's related to gas? I never had gas pains or anything as an adult (even immediately post-op) so I don't really have a basis for comparison. Right now, I am just waiting to see if it subsides. I don't think it's serious enough to warranty any sort of immediate attention (eating normally, no pain, etc), but am curious to see if anyone has experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

phred
on 10/3/16 1:17 pm - CO

How is your gall bladder?

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

FuturePinUp
on 10/3/16 1:19 pm

I still have it but it hasn't been checked out because I haven't had any issues with it.

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

emelar
on 10/3/16 2:50 pm - TX

Have your gallbladder checked with a HIDA scan.  The symptoms for gallstones are all over the place, and some people don't have symptoms at all.  But what you're describing sounds similar to what I had when my gallbladder went out.

Anita
on 10/3/16 8:05 pm

I was going to suggest having your gall bladder checked.....but everyone else beat me to it, so I'll just say....I hope you feel better soon.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

FuturePinUp
on 10/5/16 6:49 am

Thank you all. I called my surgeon since the discomfort has definitely been upper quadrant and middle, but I've started getting mild pangs on my right side. Again, nothing too painful just...uncomfortable.

They sent me in for an abdominal sonogram, which I will be getting next week. My surgeon's office does gallbladder removal in the office as an outpatient procedure.

Now, I just feel like a ticking time bomb. Should I be immediately worried that something is just going to happen and I'll have to face the possibility of having to go to the ER? Or can these things come in waves and last a while before getting to that point?

emelar
on 10/5/16 8:27 am - TX

If it's your gallbladder, I had attacks of what I thought were "indigestion" for a year before it became an emergency.  The attacks were getting progressively worse - longer and more intense - but they weren't happening every day.

Valerie G.
on 10/5/16 9:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

GB attack triggers are fat and caffeine (and a couple of other things, but these I remember with hubby).  As you're awaiting your appointment, track what you're eating and when the discomfort begins.  It's usually an hour or two after eating that your gallbladder reacts.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics