Lap Band to Sleeve anyone?

fromfattohealthy
on 10/3/16 8:26 am - Canada

Hello,

Lap Band has consistently failed me (had better results losing weight without it to be honest) Fills, defills, and stuck episodes, constantly feeling hungry, I followed the rules without much luck. 

Have been looking into having my band removed and revised to the Sleeve. In doing my research, it sounds like the sleeve does what the band is suppose to do. 

Has anyone here went from lap band to sleeve? Can you tell me EVERYTHING I need know, any regrets?

I have 75lbs to lose to get to my goal, my BMI is over 40 (I am very short) and I do qualify for Bariatric Surgery where I live.  Thank you.

mmsmom
on 10/3/16 8:37 am - Woburn, MA

Had band for 7 years - lost about 50% of my weight and was considered a success.  Had trouble choking on saliva at night etc.  Needed full saline for restriction... had band removed, got sleeved and achieved goal and have remained successful.  I LOVE the sleeve.  Never stuck, full and satisfied on a small amount of food.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

fromfattohealthy
on 10/3/16 8:45 am - Canada

Thank you for your reply.

I have done so much research and I would prefer the sleeve.

Recently noticed that without an adjustment that I have been choking - from one day to the next its always different. Eating causes me anxiety because I just never know what to expect.

Anita
on 10/3/16 10:15 am

I was banded in 2006 and did fairly well for quite some time....also had the same kind of issues with feeling stuck, not being able to keep some foods down, etc......last year, my hiatal hernia got considerably more tempermental, so I had my band totally unfilled.....didn't help with the hernia and I was always hungry to boot.

Had my band removed in March and was sleeved June 6 with a repair to the hernia. I've lost 42 pounds so far and feel great. I know that some people feel that the only way to resolve the hernia issue is to go RNY, but I was not willing to go that route. My doctor felt that this would resolve my hernia problem and so far it has.

Bottom line is that you need to discuss your medical concerns with your doctors, but here on OH you'll certainly get lots of support and information about each person's journey. For me, it's been all good - of course when I've been at holiday dinners and wish that I COULD eat all the goodies there....and then remember that I SHOULD NOT eat them and then KNOW that I'm full and am able to forego all the stuff that led me to this situation. I'm very happy that I've done this......no, it isn't always easy, but compared to the band, this is a better option for me. The one thing that I still struggle with on occasion (I'm learning to be better at it) is that once I'm full, I am full and that one more bite is definitely going to be a problem for me.

I wish I could tell you absolutely everything, but I really can't, so what ever you opt to do, wishing you the best!!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Sai F.
on 10/3/16 12:30 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

Had the lap band from 2009 to Sept 2016. I lost over a hundred lbs, keep off most of it. Then twice my esophagus dilated. Had to unfill both times, of course, I gained some weight back each time. The final time, I opted for the sleeve. I'm very happy with the results.

I'm post op day 32 with the sleeve, down around 27 lbs. I had the revision done in one step, took a little over an hour surgery. I was released the same day since it was done outpatient. First day was rough, and after that it's been easy. I had a super easy recovery, but I know others have not. I felt great from day 3 on. I tolerate all foods so far, and as a previous bander, I'm a pro at chewing my food lol and never drinking after I eat, so maybe that's why I've had no issues. 

My fullness feeling is quite different than full with the band. You still get a little pressure in the center of your chest and perhaps the feeling in the back of your throat but no sliming, no severe pain, and no getting stuck. However, if you go to far, you will feel clammy, and very uncomfortable for about 20 min. Once you do it, you normally won't do it again. As soon as I get the idea that I should stop, that's when I ask for a box.

The diet usually consists of protein first, followed by vegetables, followed by fruits, then starches, but all bariatric centers are different but that's the general diet. No drinking 30 min. after eating. 

Hope this helps.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Most Active
Recent Topics