Intermittent Fasting, Anyone?

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/5/16 1:12 pm

Sure. No problem. Ask away. 

Btw - if you drink water - jus****er or with additives?  When My GERD was horrible some things I was drinking made it worse. Any flavors with added citric acid, or artificial colors - caused rebound on GERD. 

Not sure if you take anything for GERD - but my gastro told me that most OTC PPI pick their action in 4-6 hours from ingestion...and to really control GERD - a person needs to take them 2-3 times a day, and not one time. 

Warm tea, even ..warm water with Apple cider vinegar worked better than plain water. Cold plain water actually hurt more that helped.  Good green tea or black tea worked ok. 

I used acid tamer in my coffee... And in worst time of GERD - I used homemade cold brew organic coffee. 

General coffee is often full of pesticides - and normally it is ok, but if your system is supper irritated - limiting any chemicals that can further hurt already damaged tissues.. I buy whole beans organic coffe and grind them myself. 

If you tolerate milk - adding a splash of whole milk to the coffee can be used instead of acid tamer (that is mostly calcium carbonate anyway)

http://www.calciblend.com

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 10/5/16 2:14 pm, edited 10/5/16 7:14 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I use Mio, very diluted, but I'll give plain tea a whirl.  I take 40mg of omeprazole right now.  Twice a day made no difference.  I was even on Dexilant, but I was still plagued with issues.  Nothing seems to help the chest pain other than eating.  I was going to try ginger but didn't want to irritate my stomach.  Nearly flat warm seltzer also seems to, paradoxically, help, but I don't want to risk even almost-flat carbonation.

I've been going without coffee, but there was no GERD improvement after a week.  It actually was better with coffee.  I do use milk, but I am looking at giving up dairy because of autoimmune issues.  I will definitely check the organic coffee though, since I am taking myself off coffee prohibition tomorrow!  I am already a coffee grinding crazy lady. >.>

I've actually been drinking warmer liquids since surgery, period.  I have cramping with super cold anything, except the SF popsicles.  My body is apparently nuts. :P

I am not sure if my GERD is so bad revising to RNY will work. I've now talked to numerous RNY folks who have GERD.  I'm not sure it's the solution.  

Thank you so much for your help :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/6/16 11:36 am

In most cases RNY resolves GERD. But it often comes back. I could control mine with food choices before RNY.

I suspect that my current GERD is due some food allergies, food intolerances, Candida or bacterial infection...or all of those combined. 

I was doing ok..and I had a back surgery. A few days post op I start having a horrible GERD... I think they "gave?me " some bacterial infections when they intubated me" some new crappy stuff grew in a hospital...not classified yet. 

I am slowly improving...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 10/6/16 11:56 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Hala :( You have overcome so much though.  I hope you continue to feel better.  I had the lovely "gift" of MRSA from one of the top hospitals in the Midwest (and the country) after a routine hernia repair at under 200 pounds.  That spurred my several hundred pound gain over the next several years.  Kudos to you for not letting your stuff stop you.  I respect that very much.

I didn't even know candida could be invasive.  They are going to biopsy for it at the end of the month when they do the endoscopy.  I wanted more surgery like I wanted to drill a hole in my head, including an endoscopy, but what can you do?  Instead I am grateful for being able to get it, and also grateful my insurance covers WLS revisions in the event it must be done.

I actually omitted the Mio today and notice a difference.  I also added coffee back and that seems to help, too.  I have the craziest tiny stomach ever, apparently. 

Thank you again for your help!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics