Intermittent Fasting, Anyone?

Donna L.
on 10/2/16 5:29 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

So I've noticed through my anal-retentive neurotic tracking (hello, former graduate student! ha) that when I do IF the GERD is less...crappy.  Don't get me wrong, I still get stabby-chest jolts from it that feel like I'm getting hit with an ice pick in the sternum, and Harvey (my sleeve) still is rather grumpy.  Nonetheless since my EGD procedure to determine cause is at the end of the october, I'll take what I can get.  (I may also try to get another GI doctor, but that's another drama for another time.  Anyway...)

I was wondering if can fit all my protein in if I do IF from 10a - 7p.  Before or after and the chest pain is...ugh.  I've been soldiering on through it, but I'm getting weary from the chest pain.  I'm shooting for at least 75g.  I think I should be okay, but reality checks are always appreciated. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 10/2/16 5:48 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It is not uncommon for me to eat all of my meals between noon and 8pm, which is one fewer hour than what you're allowing for yourself.  So I don't see why it would be a problem?  As longs you you keep drinking!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 10/2/16 6:06 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thanks Gwen :) I appreciate that.  I think it's going to help tremendously.  Drinking has always been difficult for me, even pre-op.  Three blender bottles full of water a day, one with protein, should help!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 10/2/16 6:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I just figured out how to upload a picture and change my name, only a year late, lol.  Still Meep ;)

Grim_Traveller
on 10/2/16 8:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are a lot of interpretaions of IF. But there is a lot of medical evidence that some forms of IF are very beneficial. And if it helps your gerd, too, that's a huge win.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

FuturePinUp
on 10/3/16 10:48 am

This is pretty much exactly how I eat and haven't had any issues with getting protein. I do not eat breakfast, then have lunch around 12-1, dinner around 6, and then a larger snack around 7:30 - 8. It works out really well for me! :)

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/16 4:37 pm

I started doing IF due to IBS and pain after eating and GERD. I eat typically 12- 8 or 9 pm.  It really helped my GERD and my IBS symptoms...I do ytu to push calories free liquids all morning...and before bed.  

Not only I can get enough proteins but since I started doing that - my blood protein levels got better...

But - most fo the time I eat proteins and proteins and some cooked veggies. Nuts and nut butter.. (for fat and snacks - bu****ch the calories ). 
I always hated breakfast and was hungry at night... I adjusted...It works great for me...

my body is so efficient that I don't need to eat in the morning even if I exercise...(not often)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 10/3/16 10:02 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thank you :) I will probably use the same time range since lots of folks seem to.  I really hope to avoid a revision.  If this helps the GERD, no complaints from me!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/4/16 10:53 am

If I had a sleeve _ i would not do 12-8 or 9pm.. unless I would be staying up until 12..

With RNY - food passed out app 30 min to 1 hour after muy meal(I don't eat too heavy or very dense proteins very late) 

For anyone with a full stomach or a sleeve- and dealing with GERD - it is a great idea to have 3 + hours from the time of last meal to the time to go to bed. 

my eating so late has to do with 2 things: 1) I had RNY; 2) I have adrenal issues that can cause my BS to drop in a middle of the night.  I eat so late (but only nuts or nut butters) to make sure my body has some food that can be slowly absorbed during the night...

since I started dealing with GERD - even I limit my last meat to at least 2 hours before  bed and I make sure I drink a lot of water /herbal tea between my last meal and my bed time...And yes - that make me get up 1 or 2 times in a middle if the night and i push more liquids during that time...

my last meal is always something that can be stable in normal temperature - doesn't spoil or require too much acid to digest (i.e. NSA peanut or almond butter, nuts like almonds, walnuts, macadamia,  etc.)

BTW: the nuts that I eat - they are either roasted or soaked/sprouted. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 10/5/16 12:14 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh, I see what you are saying.  I appreciate the information.  I hadn't even thought about that.  Usually I do eat late because I often work 12 hour shifts and don't get home until midnight (yay healthcare).  I must redo my schedule if I can.  I can't always predict when I can eat though, since emergencies and police take precedence.  Hmm.  Early in the morning is difficult and I can't typically eat.  I'll play with my schedule. 

I definitely need to drink more.  Drinking 80 ounces has me urinating only twice a day.  Drinking even water seems to agitate it more than eating.  I don't even have burning often.  My #1 GERD symptom is center and back chest pain, like a 9/10.  I need a total knee replacement and am accustomed to walking around without painkillers and this trumps the knee.  It's ridiculous.  I wish they'd move the endoscopy up, sigh.

I may hit you up with RNY specific questions later, Hala, if you don't mind.

Most Active
Recent Topics