Chest pain update

Grim_Traveller
on 9/28/16 4:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, GERD after VSG is not rare. It's pretty common. And revising to RNY is becoming more common too.

I hope you get this fixed sooner rather than later, and can resume living without the agony.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 9/28/16 11:58 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thanks, Grim.  I suppose it's frustrating since I never had it pre-op.  I find it hilarious however that I am probably the only fat person that never had GERD.  One of my good friends who was excellent pre-op support had the RNY and lost 250 pounds. 

As with all things, user error is the biggest factor for any surgery.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Grim_Traveller
on 9/28/16 12:06 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

In your case there is no user error. GERD is a byproduct of the sleeve, and there was nothing you could do about it. I do cringe when those with existing gerd insist on VSG. It's just too big a risk.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 9/28/16 6:22 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I still beat myself up for it and I shouldn't - it is difficult.  Hopefully my bowel is not too damaged from the Celiac at this point.  We will see what the endoscopy uncovers.  I don't eat wheat intentionally, but I recently discovered my bariatric vitamins and medications had gluten some of them, including the medications for my Hashimoto's.  I had actually not even thought to check these.  Fun times. 

I was super low risk for the sleeve since I had zero signs of GERD damage pre-op from a diagnostic standpoint, so if I can get GERD from it anyone can.  If I hadn't been so low risk I would have done the RNY immediately instead.  I am concerned with being unable to take NSAIDs, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I think there's an "attitude" against the bypass with the newer procedures out which are, dare I say it, trendier.  It's unfortunate because it is both effective and appropriate for many people.  Even with the new sleeve data, the statistics still weigh in its favor, too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Joshua H.
on 9/28/16 5:02 am
VSG on 10/26/16

...I've got nothing on GERD, but wanted to congratulate you on your success so far.  Dropping your BMI that much so far is awesome.  I hope your revision goes well and you have continued weight loss success.

cappy11448
on 9/28/16 5:25 am, edited 9/27/16 10:26 pm

I'm glad they figured out what was wrong and that you have options to fix it.  We sleevers love our sleeves, but everyone I know who has an RNY loves theirs, too.  I think you'll be very happy with your RNY tummy.

Great job reducing your BMI from 78 to 50!  That's huge progress.  I bet you are feeling so much better already. 

I started with a BMI of 60, and I now have a BMI of 25.  You can get to your goal weight if you choose!

best wishes

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

hollykim
on 9/28/16 7:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2016 at 1:57 AM Pacific Time, Meep wrote:

So I am the lucky and thankfully rare VSG patient that apparently has horrible GERD which is intractable over a year after my WLS.  The surgeon wants me to get an EGD to check and conform this for certain so that is the next step.  Not looking forward to it, but also relieved it is probably this.  

Unfortunately, it means I may have to revise to the RNY if we cannot resolve the GERD.  I would have preferred to revise to the DS (or even the SADI-S) over the RNY because my original BMI was 78 (it's 50ish currently) but, this is still early in so we'll see what happens.  At this point I will take the RNY over the GERD!  RNY is still a perfectly fine surgery, too.

While this could be annoying, I'm grateful it is not any one of other things which could be worse, as strange as that sounds.  And I am grateful my insurance covers WLS revisions.  I could be in a much worse position than having several options.

the DS or the SADI will not resolve the GERD. they both have sleeved stomachs.

Donna L.
on 9/28/16 11:34 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

They will not.  I know, however the plan was to do the DS or SADI at a later date if the sleeve needed revision because my first surgery BMI was 78.  They did not do a malabsorptive procedure at first because I have Celiac which causes bowel damage, and my healthwas poor at the time (I have three autoimmune diseases, among other issues - my highest weight was 750+ at one point).  Sadly, that is not an option likely, depending on what the endocopy results are regarding the GERD.  

I've known lots of people who have done very well with the RNY so I am not too worried :)

Neesie57
on 9/28/16 9:28 am
VSG on 08/04/15

Oh Meep, it's crappy that you need a revision, but I'm so happy you are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. The relief you get from the RNY will be a god send once the pain is gone.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

phred
on 9/28/16 4:55 pm - CO

When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

Most Active
Recent Topics