Lap-Band thinking of revision but have GERD from slipped band

exband
on 9/22/16 7:44 pm

I had lap-band surgery way back in May 2003. I did really well with it for a long time and had a stable, significant weight loss.

Unfortunately, I suffered a band slip a couple of years ago and have had it unfilled since then. I regained about half the weight I originally lost. Worst of all, though, I have persistent GERD/acid reflux that I think is a direct result of the band. 

The band needs to be removed, and I have found a surgeon who wants to take it out. The only question is what to do about revising to another weight loss surgery. 

The whole reason I got the band originally was because I was wary of the bypass and the potential complications from malabsorption and stoma strictures and such.

In most ways, I prefer the idea of the sleeve gastrectomy. The only thing that scares me about a revision to a sleeve is the GERD/reflux. I am really scared of ending up with worse reflux after the sleeve. 

Has anyone else out there been in this situation? I would love to hear any insights on this issue. I have had so much trouble from the band, so many times over these years when it caused me pain or discomfort, sometimes I wonder if I should just get the band removed and live my life as an obese person just so I don't have to risk some new form of misery with another procedure. 

Anita
on 9/22/16 10:00 pm

Hi exband......my band was removed in March....but I already knew I was going to revise to a sleeve and have my hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. Whereas I didn't have the same problems you have experienced, I did have an issue with reflux - mostly from the hernia.

I've been on Nexium for some time and it helped a lot while I was still banded, and of course since my sleeve and hernia repair, I'm okay....still on Nexium for a while, but no longer every day.

I'm very happy with my sleeve....every now and then (especially if I'm in a restaurant where I love the food - or at a special event) I think to myself....gee I wish I could eat all of those goodies....... but it passes quickly when I realize that eating all those goodies is what got me in the pickle I've been in for a long time.....so, it's okay. On July 4th, I was at a BBQ and had A chip with some dip......it was fine....then I had my protein (burger, no bun, no fries, no additional chips, etc) and I was good. I also had about a 1/2 teaspoon of ice cream....... I discussed it with my nutritionist and she was good with it......as she said, it was better to have just the one chip to satisfy my urge rather than go totally wild and eat a whole bag of them. I haven't had any more chips since then, but I'm so much more able to control my eating now than ever before, so I am really liking this.

I don't know if this helps, but I'll wish you luck with your decision. You'll get great support here!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Gwen M.
on 9/23/16 4:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It's generally a bad idea to add the sleeve to GERD.  RNY would be your safest bet, and it would suck to need a third surgery :/ 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SpartanMom03
on 9/25/16 5:42 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

I was banded in July of 2010 and because of damage to my esophagus from the band, I am now in the process of revising to VSG.  

I was also concerned with the possibility of reflux with VSG, so I scheduled an appointment with my original surgeon and had a heart to heart.

I am going to trust his knowledge and experience and trust that he wouldn't advise me to have VSG if he thought it was the wrong decision for me.  I have a genetic mutation called MTHFR that increases my risk of heart disease and strokes that causes malabsorption issues-especially with B vitamins.  It doesn't matter that everyone calls by-pass the "gold standard" of weight loss surgery. It might not be right for YOU.

What I'm saying is, meet with your surgeon and have an open and honest discussion.  Your doctor should know your medical history and medical issues well enough to help you make an intelligent decision.  

Best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics