Reached goal weight... now what?

AMAZEBALLS
on 9/20/16 5:02 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

CONGRATS ON REACHING GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I would also try to lose a bit more to account for bounce back weight.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

rubies
on 9/20/16 7:39 am

When I reached my goal weight, I didn't change anything.  My goal weight was to just get into the normal BMI range for me, 159 lbs.  Once I got there, I figured why not just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens.  I reached goal in February of this year and now I'm at 150lbs just because that's how slow going weight loss is now.  Additionally, I just didn't feel the need to change how I was eating because it's working for me - losing weight slowly, feeling energetic, etc.

At this point, I have no plans to ever change the content of my diet.  After nearly 30 years of failed attempts to lose weight, it's become clear that this way of eating is what my body needs.  Protein first, then veggies, almost never carbs, portion control.  I'm okay with that.  If I get to a point where I feel like I need to change something in order to stop losing weight, I'll add in another snack in the form of protein/veggies.

Congrats on reaching goal and best wishes for continued success!

HW 269; SW 254; GW 159; CW 152

5'7"

Surgery Date: 1/29/2015

Grim_Traveller
on 9/20/16 7:47 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Great answer.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Spencerella
on 9/21/16 9:25 am, edited 9/21/16 2:34 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

As has been suggested, it would be good to get to a lower weight. Looking at your stats, you've now reached the very top end of normal bmi (congrats!) but probably not your ideal weight, which could be as much as 30+ pounds less than your current weight. Mind boggling isn't it?  Most of us have no idea how we look and feel at those lower weights, so now is the best time to find out. 

Some clarification about bounce back weight. To me, it only applies to RNY patients who eventually lose the malabsorption and subsequently gain when eating at their previously established maintenance level of calories. Sometimes they have to lower their calorie intake to stay at the same weight.

For VSG, there's no change in calorie requirements after we establish our maintenance calorie needs. We gain weight because we start eating more calories than needed to maintain our weight. Yes, RNY patients can eat more and gain too, but I don't really see that fitting into the 'bounce back' description, which I've always viewed as an internal, uncontrollable change.  

Overeating is an external, controllable change.  In other words, it doesn't make sense to plan for weight gain with VSG. Realistically, I think it could be counter productive. Instead, plan to reach your ideal weight, find your caloric balance and plan to stay with that.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/17 8:16 pm

Hi Linda. Sorry to interrupt. Wow your 115! I just wandered how long it took. And If you had alot of lose skin.

I was 244- 30 June at pre op. 235 surgery day 4th July 227lbs yesturday.

I wonder what your eating was like in weight loss phase .

Amazing job !

Most Active
Recent Topics