Feel overwhelmed with weight gain

krisbrick
on 9/18/16 7:55 am

I had VGS in Feb 2015. Highest weight was 268, got down to 185. Since March of this year I have totally been off track and have allowed all my bad habits back into my life. I have actually put on 20 pounds and feel miserable. Has anyone been in this same situation and resversed the damage? Feel like a complete idiot for not using my tool I was blessed with. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Pre surgery weight 268lb, lowest weight 185lb current weight 204lb. Trying to get back on track! 

cappy11448
on 9/18/16 8:16 am

Maintenance is tough.  I actually think its harder than weight loss because in weight loss you get the encouragement of watching the number go down on the scale.  In maintenance, success is not so easy to visualize. 

I've been maintaining for about 2 years now, and the most I've gained is about 10 pounds and this was while traveling.  I did lose the weight again, but it was a lot of effort, and since, I've tried to jump back into weight loss mode whenever I am 5 pounds over. 

To get back on track, I first need to cut out carbs.  Carbs are inevitably the cause of my weight gain, and it takes a huge effort to convince myself that I have to give them up.  The second step is to cook lots of tasty and healthy meals so I can always have something I enjoy.  This helps me resist the forbidden and high calorie foods. 

I find that weighing, measuring and tracking my food also helps.  But its mostly about breaking the carb addiction, having lots of healthy foods around, and the rugged determination to keep to my food plan.  I NEVER want to be obese again. 

I wish you the best - you can do this.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Gwen M.
on 9/18/16 8:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yes.  I stopped losing weight when my dad was diagnosed with brain cancer, about a year post-op and then, when he died this April, I gained 10 pounds.  The scale hitting 191 was a HUGE scare for me and it inspired me to finally get my Binge Eating Disorder diagnosed.  I started medication for that and I've been totally back on track pretty much since the day of the diagnosis.  I haven't binged at all since I started the medication.  I've been taking medication for two months and I've lost almost 20 pounds.  

This was a huge wake up call.  I knew that surgery only changed my stomach, and not my brain, but I hadn't realized how strong the compulsions of BED were, or could be, when life went to hell.  I'm so ridiculously grateful that I stopped ignoring the symptoms and sought help.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kathy8429
on 9/18/16 9:02 am

I've struggled in maintenance. I agree with Cappy. Cutting out carbs is number one and then for me I have to cut calories down to 800 a day. Then I lose about a pound a week. It's slow and painful

Donna L.
on 9/18/16 10:33 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have been struggling with both my eating disorder and my major depressive disorder.  I was 425 or so pre-op and am still sitting and 290 just over a year later.  I haven't had regain, but I have been stalled for a month. I was unable to find a support group that worked with my schedule.  Additionally, even though binge eating disorder is the most common, very few people know how to treat it well.  It's extra frustrating being a counselor, myself.  So, I am starting my own support and counseling group, and I'm going to start doing advocacy and build a better support network.

I also recently persuaded my best friends to keep me accountable daily.  It's hard when I am exhausted.  I don't want to stay on track when I feel exhausted and stressed out - all the more reason to make sure I stay on top of things.  I've started cycling every morning for 30 minutes which has helped keep me mindful of my diet.  I hope to increase it in a few weeks to 2x a day, mostly to build up leg strength I lost from my arthritis.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

diane S.
on 9/18/16 11:07 am

Read the vsg maintenance group. Several people have struggled with some regain and have come up with various strategies. Its best to nip it before it gets any worse. Accept that there is some stuff you just shouldn't keep around and plan ahead for what you know will be food danger events. You changed your habits once and you can do it again. Start tracking food. add a bit of exercise and up your protein. Someone mentioned a book called "Refuse to Regain" with good comments.  GL  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

TheFox
on 9/18/16 10:10 pm

I had surgery 01/08/08. Highest was about 250. Lowest post op was 135, I bounced up to nearly 160 at one point. You have to refocus, track your food, make sure you get your protein, and keep your eye on the prize. I look at pictures of me from before my surgery, try on what used to be my favorite jeans pre-op, and think long and hard about all I went through to get to surgery and then the post op struggle. Don't give up. It's just a speed bump in the journey not a roadblock. 

The Fox - Nearly half the girl I used to be.

Keith L.
on 9/19/16 10:13 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yep! Simple answer: get back up on the horse and ride it. You know how you lost the weight the first time around, just start doing that again. Be glad its just 20 and not the 40+ I gained. Its a lot of work to get back on track. You just have to get your head into the game and stay focused. Track what you eat, track your exercise, participate on the board here, etc.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics