Losing hair

TiffanyNicolle
on 9/16/16 7:47 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
VSG on 02/28/13

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been there and it was so hard to deal with mentally. I have always had beautiful, thick, long hair, but not after VSG. grrrr  I finally decided eating more calories each day was my only hope at saving what I had left.   My weight loss stalled but my hair stopped falling out and even started growing again!

How many calories and grams of protein are you eating each day? I'm 3.5 years out and currently eating between 1,100 -1,300 cals and 50-70 grams of protein a day to reach goal by the end of the year.

I was also using Castrol oil mixed with Coconut oil on my scalp twice a month. That really seemed to help too. Oh and upped my Biotin to 10,000 a day.

VSG on  02/28/2013

Pre-surgery- 300 lbs.   ...  1 year out- 204 lbs. ...

3 years out- 228 lbs.  ...    4 years out- ONEderland...

ejirish
on 9/17/16 4:34 am

The crazy shedding can last till the 9th month??? Mine is crazy too...I'm down to washing 1x a week... it wont last 4 more months of this. UGH. 

WEBnyc
on 9/17/16 12:49 pm
VSG on 10/21/15

This happened to me for about 4-5 MONTHS post-op. I was losing so much hair I was afraid I was going to go completely bald.  Giant clumps in my hair brush.  Id run my fingers through my hair and my fingers would be threaded with tons of hair.  My hair was thin and gross--- The texture of my hair was awful.  My friends would tell me i needed to brush my hair, I would and they would say WHY DIDNT YOU BRUSH YOUR HAIR?!  Sigh...  

Good news:  IT GETS BETTER.  There is nothing you can do about this now but what really helped me was taking Vivascal Extra Strength.  I am still taking it religiously (Started in April).  I have a TON of extra hair growth and my hair is growing fast and healthy.  

Also, make sure you take your vitamins.  After my surgery I had a lot of problems eating, taking vitamins, keeping food down, etc.  Once I started to really hunker down I noticed a big difference in my overall health, mood, hair, and I found that if I took my vitamins as I was supposed to that my weight came off much faster.  

So, in closing- Viviscal Extra Strength and bariatric vitamins.  I took 2 viviscal a day.  Best of luck!  

Anita
on 9/17/16 1:11 pm

where do you get Viviscal? I'm doing everything else.....regular vitamins, right amount of protein and fluids, extra biotin.......

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

WEBnyc
on 9/18/16 11:23 am
VSG on 10/21/15

I buy my on Amazon.com.  Otherwise, try a regular drug store, they should have it at Target.  Im telling you Viviscal is the best.  Best of luck!  

msecanales
on 9/19/16 7:16 pm

I'm 11 months post op and am still losing hair. However, I am starting to see all the baby hairs that are growing back.. Looks really funny. So I have been using a lot of hair spray to keep them tamed. 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

happyteacher
on 1/29/17 10:16 am

I got a shorter haircut. Seemed to help until the shedding stopped. I also let it air dry. By that time my hair had gotten really curly, so I just rocked the fro.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics