My last post about vitamins (I hope)

psychoticparrot
on 9/15/16 4:27 pm

In addition to all of your eye-opening (for me) information about vitamin supplements (when to take them, avoiding caffeine w/calcium, no iron w/calcium, patch info, etc.), I just found out this morning that if you take Synthroid (levothyroxine), you must avoid taking your calcium 4 hours before and after taking the Synthroid. Since thyroid disease is pretty common, I thought I would throw that factoid out there for sleevers who take Synthroid.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

roxytrim
on 9/15/16 5:33 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I have been taking synthroid for decades and have kept it in a small open container on my night stand.  I just pop it in my mouth in the middle of the night, don't even really wake up, to scoot around the interference issue.  

Another thing to remember is to get your levels checked as you drop weight because for me, I had my dosage changed 3 times on my way down.

psychoticparrot
on 9/16/16 9:05 am

Middle of the night won't work for me. I have difficulty falling asleep and an even harder time waking up. Once I'm asleep, nothing short of a nuclear blast can wake me up. Must ponder how to manage the Synthroid.

I get my levels checked every 3 months. The Synthroid dosage has dropped twice since surgery. 

psychoticparrot

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/16 9:09 am

drink more water before bed... Your bladder will wake up up ...or the wet bed...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

psychoticparrot
on 9/16/16 9:22 am

Yes. That would work very well! Thanks for the (should-have-been-obvious-to-me!) tip.

psychoticparrot

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/16 9:33 am

I just bought a "toilet motion detector light" so when I get up in a middle of the night I don't have to tun on the light in the bathroom...really useful..

I am paranoid since I found a dead mouse in my toilet -cat drag it in. but light - will wake me up more and it will disrupt the good sleep - to avoid it - motion activated night light - + the light in the toilet... and i am good...

(yes - my cat is I/O and she will drag things to the house.... )

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

psychoticparrot
on 9/17/16 12:47 pm

Last night I downed 8 ounces of water just before bed and set my Synthroid on the bathroom counter. With perfect timing, I had to get up at 3am to pee. Took my Synthroid and was back asleep in 10 minutes. This will be my routine from now on.

Your idea worked out perfectly! Thank you!

psychoticparrot

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/17/16 1:22 pm, edited 9/17/16 11:23 pm

Cool... Btw- remember - blue or white light disrupts the melatonin production - so having a red - low intensity night light is best when walking up in a middle of the night..

Lodie
on 9/16/16 6:40 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Thought I would add to the thyroid medication thread. You should not take any other medications or food within two hours of this type of medication. This information provided via an internal medicine doctor. Thanks for sharing, although this is a group that strives to be knowledgeable many never give a second thought to when to take their medications. It can make a big impact on absorption .

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

psychoticparrot
on 9/16/16 7:26 am

I certainly didn't have a clue! Thank goodness for those here who know the score. I'm just a bit miffed that my nutritionist never mentioned any of this information. But that's in the past; can't change it. I'm taking my supplements the right way now and am looking forward to seeing what my nutrition levels bloodwork will reveal in November.

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics