Post surgical pain?

Hillsy099
on 9/14/16 1:28 am
VSG on 10/04/16

Hi all, I'm new here but I just got my vsg date for October 4th! I'm super excited. I am curious about your experiences with post surgical pain though? I'm a recovering addict and would prefer not to use any pain medication stronger than Tylenol or NSAIDS. My doctor says it's possible but hard. How was your pain?

Dee R.
on 9/14/16 8:39 am - CA

I was lucky and had very little pain afterwards.  I DI use my pain meds for a few days just because it was there.  Then I only used it at night so I could sleep.  Good Luck to you! 

Tempestt
on 9/14/16 8:49 am
VSG on 09/07/16

I had pain meds in the hospital, either Morphine and another one that started with a "d", maybe dilaudid. I'm not a fan of needles and considering I already had an IV and was getting blood thinner shots in my leg or belly, I wasn't asking for any extra needles than I had to. By the time I got home, they gave me Codeine syrup (it tastes way too sugary) and Children's liquid Tylenol (cherry syrup).  The first day or 2, I took them 2-4 times, then nothing then, I tried sleeping on my side on the 5th night and it hurt so bad I went back and had 2 doses of Codeine the next day.  I'm on day 8 and no more drugs. The pain is more there when I move a certain incision, so I don't think they were doing enough for it.  If I had been in constant pain, it would be different. 

Use alternatives, like a heating pad or cooling pad.  Get up and walk, sip, and rest.  And change positions as much as possible. I found it good to go between my bed and the couch because I could sit up on the couch.  

Good luck!

Joshua H.
on 9/14/16 9:04 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Have you discussed this with your doctor?  Maybe the doctor will have a treatment protocol that can help you through it.

Gwen M.
on 9/14/16 9:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly pain is one of those things that varies so much from person to person.  You won't be able to use NSAIDs post-op, ever, and we can't really guess at whether or not Tylenol would cut it for you.  

For me, I needed something stronger than Tylenol for the first few days post-op.  I have a very high pain tolerance - I've had multiple kidney stones over the course of my life.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

McLassie
on 9/14/16 12:12 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

The pain was pretty bad freshly post-op and I needed a couple shots of Dilaudid to carry me through until that evening. I took Oxycodone for a couple days post-op and then didn't need anything more than Tylenol after about post-op day 2. I would think it would be very difficult to get by without narcotics but everybody is different. 

rachelp
on 9/14/16 2:31 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

The pain wasn't horrible for me. The dilaudid they gave me after surgery made me nauseated so I refused pain meds until I could take something orally. They wouldn't allow anything orally until the next day after I got my leak test. I took an oral dose 1 time that afternnon and that was it. I didn't touch my prescription either. I didn't touch any of my nausea meds either. 

Good luck! It's possible! I had babies with no pain meds either.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Elle B.
on 9/14/16 4:59 pm
VSG on 09/26/16

It's been a month for you now. So how are you feeling. Have you noticed a difference yet?

rachelp
on 9/15/16 6:43 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I feel completely normal for having a major surgery a little over a month ago. Actually, I take that back...I feel better than before! My recovery was easy. I was grocery shopping and running errands the day after I got out of the hospital. I could tell I got tired easier so I made myself take naps. I went back to work (full time) the following Monday after surgery. I've been walking 4 or 5 miles about 4 times a week. Some days at some point in time I feel a little fatigue but it always passes when I drink more water. Have I noticed a difference? Absolutely. My clothes are getting too big. I'm not very hungry, just some head hunger sometimes. I do miss the enjoyment of eating food sometimes (my husband is a chef) but not enough to get me down. I don't feel anything from the incisions anymore. They are completely healed up.

Not everyone is the same nor had the same outcome after surgery. I feel that I prepared really well before surgery so maybe that helped. I was drinking 80oz of water a day, only eating protein and veggies, exercising and taking vitamins. Don't wait to start everything after surgery. All I did was walk in the hospital so the gas pains were gone by the time I left.

Jrw1427
on 9/15/16 8:29 pm
VSG on 09/16/16

so happy to hear your results!! I go in tomorrow at 1030 for surgery and a little worried about pain and about getting liquids down. Your story gave me a bit of relief!!!! Congrats on your successful decision!

Looking forward to feeling great!!! VSG Surgery 9/16/16

Jrw1427

Most Active
Recent Topics