Something bad is going on with me not sure if related to VSG

PaulaToronto
on 9/12/16 5:07 pm - Toronto, Canada

I am almost 5 years out from VSG.  I have been on prevacid - 30-60mg since.  Recently my burping and belching has increased greatly and I have terrible heart burn that isn't going away.  I then got a bout of diarrhea (very unusual as I am normally constipated from drugs I take and use laxatives weekly) that was a very weird colour - bright yellow.  Over the next few days I felt nauseous and really was not eating much and certainly not anything acidic or spicy.  I basically have relied on protein shakes and boiled chicken.  Then I started vomiting - not after eating but hours and hours after and no food comes up.  All that comes up is a puddle of bright yellow fluid - I don't know if this is bile or stomach acid but I know it isn't right. There is pain in my tummy, a lot of gurgling and what feels like acid.  I have now vomited even more of this bright yellow stuff. I do feel better after vomiting. Anyone experience this?  No fever and this is not the flu or food poisoning.

I will call my center tomorrow as I am very concerned.  

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Gwen M.
on 9/12/16 5:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That sounds very concerning!  Definitely call your surgeon tomorrow and, if they can't see you soon, consider trying to get in to see your PCP or a GI doctor in the meantime.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

roxytrim
on 9/12/16 5:40 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Maybe gall bladder???

Your centre will get to the bottom of it.

happyteacher
on 9/12/16 6:00 pm

Call for sure- I experienced those symptoms (but only a bit of vomiting bile). Ended up being a large hiatel hernia and the gallbladder going bad at the same time. The increase in belching and spike in acid coupled with the diarehea is exactly what the hernia part did. I also put myself on a liquid only diet due to not being able to keep food down. That part though not sure if it was due to the gallbladder or the hernia or perhaps the combination. You need an gastic doc- 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

White Dove
on 9/12/16 6:01 pm - Warren, OH

Possible bowel obstruction.  You need to see a doctor quickly,

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/16 6:22 pm

Get thee to a doctor FAST! 

Hope you are feeling better soon. Your symptoms sound similar to what a friend had when she had a hiatal hernia. Good luck getting this resolved! 

PaulaToronto
on 9/14/16 6:03 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks everyone - you were on the money. I called my center but could only leave a message so I went to see my PCP who sent me to ER. They did an ultrasound and there are stones in my gallbladder but the gallbladder was not inflamed so doc didn't think this was all of the problem. He thought maybe a bacterial infection but I don't think so.  He referred me to a Gastroenterologist and gave me a kit for a stool sample.  I still want to get an endoscope done to make sure this isn't ulcers.  I am on a liquid diet to try and rest my system. Not sure how quickly the surgery will be done but it is an out patient procedure here so as long as that is the only problem I should get relief this month. 

happyteacher
on 9/14/16 5:52 pm

The endoscopy will not diagnose a hiatel hernia typically due to the doctor not being able to tell where the stomach is (in the chest or not). Once the ulcer thing is checked, you need an upper gi to rule out the hernia. If you do have both (I did) they can then take care of both in the same surgery. The hernia was first diagnosed on a CT scan for me (checking for cancer type issues), but the surgeon thought it was a misdiagnosis and ordered the upper gi. 

Avoid fat like the friggin' plague. It will trigger gallbladder attacks. Absolutely nothing fired, fat free milk type thing. Even a few grams of fat would trigger that response you describe. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

PaulaToronto
on 9/17/16 10:55 am, edited 9/17/16 3:56 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks Happy.  I am not a fried food eater, never have been, and don't eat much fat at all.  I have beef tenderloin once every 6 weeks and other than that it is lean white meat and fish. I do eat salmon which is fatty so I will forgo that until I see the gastro guy.  Nuts and seeds and ice cream are the death of me as they are trigger foods for me and I abuse them so now I have a even better reason to stop them.  I am doing abstinence now which is working for me (Thanks Kairk) but I have had some slips.

The vomiting and loose stools have pretty well stopped but some pain remains in the tummy area.  It feels like gnawing. The intensity of the pain and indigestion has improved. 

The ER doc said the ultrasound did not pick up any hernia but I agree, I want a more detailed look at things. 

I am sticking to a liquid diet to let my system recover with some protein drinks, greek yogurt and very, very small amount of peach.  I have doubled up on my probiotics to help my system recover in case I do have a bacterial infection as well as gall stones.  The only thing I can think of that may have precipitated this episode is that I ate unwashed romaine hearts as a wrap for tuna.  I rarely eat lettuce and my vegs are always roasted or steamed so maybe I caught a bug from the lettuce.  

You are right that if I am to follow a gall bladder diet, the milk products have to go.  I am reintroducing chicken tomorrow and I'll see how my tummy feels

I would really like to get the gall bladder removed before it becomes infected and inflamed and surgery becomes urgent. 

roxytrim
on 9/14/16 8:20 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Thanks for letting us know.  It does seem funny to have gall bladder issues this far out after WLS, but I guess just like in the non-WLS population...stones happen.

Most Active
Recent Topics