Interesting in VSG - so many questions!

Jjxsf25
on 9/11/16 1:05 am

Ive been struggling with my weight my entire life, I am currently 28 years old, 5'3 and 220. I recently heard about VSG and considering it.  On Monday, I will be having back surgery for an erupted disc and can't help but consider it even more. My back surgeon has me totally freaked out about recovery and how I will forever need to baby it. I know losing weight will help my back tremendously -- but years and years of trying, I feel hopeless. 

I have so many questions, that I don't know where to start! 

Has anyone had back surgery and VSG surgery too?

How long is recovery for VSG? (Basically, how long will I be out of work?)

What are your top 3 pros and cons of VSG surgery?

Any general advice? Things I should know or keep in mind?

Thank you in advance!

mylastchance
on 9/11/16 7:36 am

I had no back problems, but I can say I had a lot of aches and pains in my legs, knees and feet for too many years.  I was one of the most unhappy people anyone could have encountered.  Not crazy depressed just checked out of life and not joining in on anything.  The pros to having VSG is everything....no more of those pains mentioned,  and I am now a part of the living again.  The cons,  only one...having not done it sooner.  I haven't really found anything bad.  If you want to say eating a small amount of food is a con then yes,  but had we eaten small amounts of food to begin with we would have never ended up here. 

The only advice I have to share,  get in the fast lane and go for it.  I will bet my last dollar you won't regret it.  This is my opinion and I haven't had any regrets at all.

Good luck in your decision,  do your homework and ask every question that comes up....someone here will have an answer or at least some help in finding it.  This site is very helpful and supportive and can be just the motivation you need from time to time.  I'll be watching for updates on your journey and again good luck.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

happyteacher
on 9/11/16 7:46 am
  1. I have had back surgery, however, it was to remove cancer so not the same issue you have. It did create a lot of nerve pain though. It was done after my sleeve and I was very grateful to not have that going on with the weight issue. 
  2. 2 week recovery before going back to work. I am an elementary teacher so I can avoid lifting more than 10 pounds. Took about 6 weeks for my energy level to rebound, but I had not problems going back when I did. 
  3. Pros: 100% of the excess weight is gone and still gone 4.5 years after surgery. Movement is perfect now, and I am very active. I got my life back! Cons: Early out it bothered me how little I could eat in front of work colleagues, but I am over that now. (A little sensitive due to cancer being active post vsg and people making a lot of assumptions.) I had a reoccurance of a hiatel hernia and blew out the gallbladder resulting in another surgery. Finally, it was very expensive to replace my wardrobe completely 6 times due to shrinking sizes. 
  4. In general, my oncologist said the best thing I could have done for myself it to lose the weight. This is true for more than just cancer- it will dramatially improve your health. Your "new normal" is not something that makes you feel deprived at all, but does take a little adjusting and following the plan to achieve. Entirely doable though.

Good luck in your journey!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 9/11/16 8:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Depending on your job, you should plan on around 2 weeks.  

Pros: Prior to and immediately after surgery the VSG gave me a huge sense of hope, control, and willpower.  The restriction was great and I was able to listen to it.  

Cons: In the second year, the **** hit the fan in my life, and my undiagnosed Binge Eating Disorder came back in full swing.  I stopped being able to hear my restriction and I started binging as I had pre-op.  

Now I've gotten my BED diagnosed and I'm taking medication for it and it's all back to pros.  I can hear my restriction again and I'm losing weight.  

The main takeaway from this is that the surgery only operates on your stomach.  You need to figure out the root causes of why you became obese and you MUST address those if you hope to see longterm success with any weight loss surgery.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics