Vitamins -- Once a day or throughout the day?

psychoticparrot
on 9/10/16 3:17 pm

Calcium + iron a no-no? No one ever told me that. Good to know. I'll move my second calcium to bedtime and take the iron in the afternoon.

psychoticparrot

McLassie
on 9/10/16 2:28 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

I take my Multivitamin, Iron, and B12 in the morning, Calcium + D two hours after, another Multivitamin in the evening, and more Calcium two hours after (because the MVI does contain some Iron as well, which should be taken separately from Ca+).

psychoticparrot
on 9/10/16 4:48 pm

I just sent an email to my nutritionist asking about the best way to schedule my supplements throughout the day. I also asked about the patch. I'll wait to see what she tells me before I made a decision about the patch.

In the meantime, I will follow through on all of your recommendations about calcium+iron=bad and spacing out my supplements to increase their efficacy.

Thank you all!

psychoticparrot

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/11/16 3:41 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My iron was very low at my 3 month checkup, so that's when I found out that the iron and calcium can't be taken together (need to space by at least 2 hours).  That only applies when taken by mouth (not patch).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

fiercebynature
on 9/11/16 6:55 am

I take my multi vitamins, and b12 (every other day ) in the morning. Calcium with d at noon,dinner and evening.  I'm not on iron but when  I'm on pills again and not chew ables I chose a prenatal multivitamin with a ton of iron so I don't need to add another pill . 

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

Valerie G.
on 9/12/16 10:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Some things should never be taken together, like calcium and iron, for they fight for absorption during digestion and cancel each other out.  Other vitamins on the other hand, like to be taken together to maximize absorption, like iron and vitamin C.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics