Vitamins -- Once a day or throughout the day?

psychoticparrot
on 9/10/16 1:54 pm

I had been taking my vitamins/calcium/iron once a day -- usually mid-afternoon with unsweetened coffee. I like doing that because sipping the hot coffee and slowly savoring my gummies is almost like a meal for me. It keeps me full enough that I can stave off my former habit of an afternoon snack, or two, or three, until dinner at 6-7pm.

At my last visit with the nutritionist, she told me to start taking half my calcium in the morning and the other half in the evening for better absorption, and I've been doing that. But it's got me thinking, would it be better, absorption-wise, to divide the vitamins and iron the same way? Maybe 3 small doses instead of the one big afternoon gummy yum-fest.

I don't really want to give up my gummy/coffee break, but I want to get the most nutrition out of the vitamins too. 

Opinions, advice? I don't see my nutritionist again until November.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

diane S.
on 9/10/16 2:09 pm

i have half in am and half in pm. no clue why. just all i can stand at once.  hope you find out something.    dines

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Anita
on 9/10/16 2:13 pm

I use the PatchMD -time released transdermal patches.....I put them on after my morning shower and take the patches off at night

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

psychoticparrot
on 9/10/16 3:20 pm

Do the patches deliver everything -- vitamins, calcium, B12, and iron? If so, I might try them and cut out the somewhat caloric gummies and have a piece of fruit for a snack instead.

psychoticparrot

Anita
on 9/10/16 3:40 pm

I don't have the packet handy, but if you click on the link at the bottom of the page, you can see exactly what's in them.......PLUS.....if you use the code they mention in their ad, you get a 30% discount. Their customer service is exceptional, so if you have any questions, they get back to you right away. I've been purchasing 2 to 3 month supply at a time so it makes my shipping fees minimal.

My doctor is comfortable with what's in them. I take the multi and the omega 3.....once we do my 6 month blood work, we'll make sure I don't (or do) need anything extra. The patches aren't cheap, but since I'm really bad with pills, it is worth my while because otherwise I'd forget to take my vitamins.

Anita
on 9/10/16 3:43 pm

MultiVitamin Plus Patch Supplemental Facts

psychoticparrot
on 9/10/16 3:50 pm

Thank you, Anita. I'll have to compare them with my vites, but they look good. I don't have a problem remembering my vitamins (in fact, I look forward to them!), but as I said earlier, those gummy calories do add up. A calorie-free patch would allow me to eat some real food in place of the gummies. 

psychoticparrot

Gwen M.
on 9/10/16 2:28 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You should not take calcium and iron together, and calcium needs to be taken in 500-600mg doses.  For there rest of the vitamins and minerals, it doesn't really matter!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rocky513
on 9/10/16 3:07 pm - WI

In addition to what Gwen said, caffeine from coffee will stop the absorption of iron too

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

psychoticparrot
on 9/10/16 3:18 pm

I drink decaf in the afternoon. Is that still too much caffeine?

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics