Set Point

GreenRose15
on 9/10/16 5:27 am
VSG on 04/02/15

First, this community is great and I am so grateful for your support.  This is my first post, and I'd like your ideas.

I am nearly 18 month post op and my weight loss is not what I expected.  I was able to drop the excess pounds put on more recently, but cannot get below my body's set-point...the weight I've always landed when trying the numerous other strategies before surgery (South Beach, Medically supervised programs, WW, etc).  While I feel I know the tools - water, journaling, and exercise - I have never been able to get below this point.  I am so disapointed that I am STILL in this situation. Could there be a medical reason why, even with surgery, I am unable to lose? Thanks for your advice!

White Dove
on 9/10/16 7:32 am - Warren, OH

You have reached the point where you are taking in as many calories as your body burns.  The only way to lose more weight is to reduce calories. 

A good place to get calorie goals is iifym.com

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cappy11448
on 9/10/16 7:51 am

My experience is that I was able to push thru any weight barrier eventually but cutting calories, increasing exercise and determination. 

I don't know if there is or is not a physiological mechanism that makes certain weights harder to lose, but I'd guess you can do make it happen with sustained effort.

good luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

hollykim
on 9/10/16 8:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 10, 2016 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, GreenRose15 wrote:

First, this community is great and I am so grateful for your support.  This is my first post, and I'd like your ideas.

I am nearly 18 month post op and my weight loss is not what I expected.  I was able to drop the excess pounds put on more recently, but cannot get below my body's set-point...the weight I've always landed when trying the numerous other strategies before surgery (South Beach, Medically supervised programs, WW, etc).  While I feel I know the tools - water, journaling, and exercise - I have never been able to get below this point.  I am so disapointed that I am STILL in this situation. Could there be a medical reason why, even with surgery, I am unable to lose? Thanks for your advice!

what is a day of eating look like for you?

GreenRose15
on 9/10/16 8:43 am
VSG on 04/02/15

Good question - I use MyFitnessPal app on my phone so I can give you what yesterday was:

B: protein shake

S: 1/2 double protein eng muffin

L: 1/2 subway (leftover other half of  last night's dinner)

S: protein bar

D: pb&j sandwhich

Totals: 1180 calories, 77 g protein

When I look at it, it was an on the go day, but that is typical.  My protein was lower - it is usually 80-100. I've met with a nutritionist about 4 months ago about this and she put me on the medical diet (which I've done before) of 800-900 calories for one week.  I was able to drop the 2-3 pounds but was still in the same 5-6 pound range that I fluctuate in.  Then it is 1000-1200 after that indefinitely.  That range keeps me in maintenance, but I was told not to go lower without weekly supervision (labs, etc).  Plus, I have NO energy at that calorie level! I literally need a nap by 4 pm.  

This pattern has been my adult life.  I restrict calories, lose a few pounds, but NEVER get past my set-point.  Now post-surgery, I am still in the pattern.  Feeling very defeated!

Gwen M.
on 9/10/16 11:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It seems like you're eating too many calories and, for things like Subway, you can't really know what the calorie count is because of fluctuations in exact amounts of things added.  You're also eating a lot of carbs.  I would suggest working on focusing on protein, cut the carbs from bread things, and make sure you're getting high quality nutrients into your body.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/16 11:29 am

Boy, I can feel your frustration! So, so difficult!

What kind of nutritionist did you meet with? One with lots of experience with bariatric patients or a regular, run of the mill nutritionist?

There are so many things to consider when it comes to losing weight after having been obese, morbidly obese, and super morbidly obese.

First and foremost is the research is conclusive that those of us who have been obese function very well on fewer calories per day than our never been heavy counterparts. It is normal to maintain on 1000-1200 calories a day for many post WLS female patients. To lose the extra weight many, many people have to maintain a 600-800 calorie a day regimen until they have achieved their desired goal weight. My bariatric nutritionist had no problem with me staying in the 600-800 calorie a day range through the entire weight loss phase as long as I had adequate protein and took all my vitamin and mineral supplements - and I'm a male. 

Second, looking at your meals for yesterday, you are super carb heavy and processed food heavy. I If I ate what you did yesterday I would have been hungry most of the day and sort of grumpy. I see no lean, dense protein in your meals (deli meat doesn't count, IMO), no veggies. You also don't list what kind of protein bar, but most of them are candy bars with protein powder.

I would really, really consider switching to a more whole, unprocessed food approach to your eating and drop the calories down below 1000. Honestly, I'd drop them to 800 a day, if you want to break through that bottom weight at which your stuck. 

My advice is not medical. I'm simply telling you what I would do. You have to do what is right for you. This is simply my opinion. 

Best of luck. 

McLassie
on 9/10/16 11:55 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Everyone here is going to tell you to cut out the bread. Oprah can eat bread, but we can't. ;) My NUT would also say to cut out the protein shakes and protein bars and eat actual protein-rich foods instead. Eggs, tuna, chicken... something that will stick with you. 

Good luck! I hope you can get past this "set point!"

GreenRose15
on 9/10/16 12:19 pm
VSG on 04/02/15

Thanks for the support and advice!  Here's to fewer calories and fewer carbs - feeling better having a direction to take.

psychoticparrot
on 9/10/16 1:24 pm

One more tweak in addition to the good advice above. Try upping your exercise just a bit -- whatever you do for exercise, increase the duration and/or intensity. Exercise by itself doesn't affect weight loss like calorie-reduction does, but the few extra calories burned plus the resultant higher metabolic rate at rest may be enough to nudge those pounds off, along with better food choices.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics