New To This Board Due to a Surprise Change of Surgery

cmarylose
on 9/10/16 12:41 pm

Tempest, 

ME TOO!!!  

On the advise of my surgeon, I opted for the RNY.  I researched the RNY as if I was getting a PHD in the field.  I wanted to know everything I could before surgery and, frankly, drove my pre-op team a bit nuts with all my questions (based on my research).  Fast forward to waking up after surgery to be told by a nurse that my VSG went fabulously.  WHAT?????  I didn't sign up for the sleeve!  

Turns out that the surgeon found a problem where part of my intestine was adhered to my abdominal wall.  He could not reroute the plumbing so he converted the surgery to VSG.  

I was CONVINCED that the VSG would not work for me.  I NEEDED all the tools including the malabsorption to be successful.  Besides, I knew NOTHING about this surgery.  I was WRONG!  The VSG is a great tool and you can be successful with it.  

My stats are:   

HW:  352

SW:  326

CW:  172

I am a slow loser.  It took me two years to reach my CW. 145 pounds in year one.  35 pounds in year two.  It was slow but consistent and incredibly tied to how true I was to the eating program.  After a literal lifetime of obesity, I am simply overweight.  Will I get to "normal"?  I don't know.  Life is good at this weight.  Life has opened up at this weight.  I feel like I can live according to the plan.  

Follow your plan.  You can make it work. 

"Well behaved women rarely make history!"  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

diane S.
on 9/10/16 2:14 pm

Don't know your cir****tances but in the long run I bet you will be very happy with your sleeve.  I considered rny but did not like the idea of it and fought insurance to get the sleeve. So glad I did. At 6 plus years i have only gained back about 6 pounds and i was way below goal. I feel normal and free of fat suit.  no hunger for about a year and then little.   

welcome to our club.   I am sure you will be glad it turned out as it did.    Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Tempestt
on 9/10/16 5:03 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

Thanks so much for the reassurances, everyone! I truly appreciate them.  

I'm feeling pretty good today, all considering. I made it 30 min. and back over to my parents' to sit on their couch for a bit and visit with my Aunt and Uncle who were only out for a couple of days.  I sipped, ate some and am now sitting on my own couch, sipping again.  

I'm feeling lost without myfitnesspal, to know my protein counts, so I think I will start logging on there again tomorrow, just so I have an idea.  Right now I don't seem to have a clue in my mind where I'm at food/drink-wise.  At the hospital, they brought the worst foods out, like broth, juice and jello or chocolate pudding that had sugar as the second ingredient! 

I was given liquid codeine, and children's liquid Tylenol. I haven't cracked open the Tylenol yet and am taking it pretty easy on the codeine, as only the incision where they removed my stomach hurts.  The rest seem fine.  Still some gas pains, but not too bad.  

Again, thanks for the encouragement!

Most Active
Recent Topics