New To This Board Due to a Surprise Change of Surgery

Anne O.
on 9/9/16 6:16 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I am a high school teacher and got a sleeve 2 1/2 months ago and I'm having more trouble getting water in during the day. I can't drink too much when I'm in class, because I cannot go to the bathroom when I need to.  And, I'm up and busy, busy, busy. There is not much time to go over to my desk and drink water. The smallest class I have is 33 students and the largest has 45 students in it. (223 students in total)

And, when it's time for the 20ish minute long lunch break, I can either eat or drink - not both. I usually choose to eat and then can't drink again until after the next class. 

It's a challenge. I usually end up drinking at the end of the school day and in to the night, but I'm not able to get as much water in as I know I need to.  

happyteacher
on 9/9/16 6:26 pm

I agree time to go to the bathroom is a problem. I ended up waking up at 5:30 and getting in 20-30 ounces by 7 am. Kiddo**** the classroom at at 8"45 so enough time to let that work though. But then by the end of the day I am usually parched. I do time fluid intake with lunch so that I can use the bathroom and not suffer through the afternoon. But yea- it is not that I can't drink, but getting to the bathroom is tough. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tempestt
on 9/10/16 6:57 am
VSG on 09/07/16

Hello All, 

Thanks for the teacher tidbits. I teach grades 7, 8 and 11 and 12, so I'm all over the map, but at least in the same classroom.  I have a mini fridge and microwave in my room and about 35 min. for lunch.  Luckily, the bathroom is close and I can usually make it during a 5 min. break, or if need be, during class time.  

I imagine getting the food and sips in will be difficult.  I usually have tea in the mornings (pre-surgery) and sip it all morning).  Hopefully I can continue with that.  At the moment, I'm having difficulty sipping a protein shake.  But, I made it through my first night at home!  

Thanks again for the advice.  I will have to figure something out about the treats, too, as I have always encouraged the kids to bring treats for their birthdays to my class (elementary teacher at heart). 

happyteacher
on 9/10/16 12:42 pm

That will really help you having the fridge and mic. I pretty much have a full kitchen- fridge, mic, foreman grill, ho****er kettle, coffee pot, milk frother and a Blendtec blender.  I figure since during the work week I eat more meals at work than home best to make sure I can eat right. It was never like that prior to the sleeve, but post op I found temperature was really important. I  would have periods where it had to be warm liquid (tea, coffee) or at other times cold- and unable to predict.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Anne O.
on 9/10/16 4:06 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

That's a good idea. I have a microwave in my room but maybe it's time to add a fridge and I've been thinking about bringing my electric water kettle for hot tea and coffee, soups, etc.  

Gwen M.
on 9/9/16 6:47 am, edited 9/9/16 12:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome!  I'm glad that your surgeon had a plan and was able to course correct to do the best and healthiest surgery for you!  It would have been horrible if they'd felt like he'd had to do RNY and damaged you permanently as a result.  

I definitely understand your disappointment.  I'd have been really upset if I woke up and found out I'd had RNY instead of VSG - not because RNY is bad, but because it wouldn't have been what I'd planned on!  But I hope (and believe) that you'll come to love your VSG as much as most of here do :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tempestt
on 9/9/16 7:53 am
VSG on 09/07/16

Thanks, so much, Gwen. Yes, way back when I met my surgeon in March, she said this may be the direction we have to go, so I was a little prepared, just not as much as I would have liked to have been.  The support on this forum is wonderful, though. I appreciate it!

rachelp
on 9/9/16 7:44 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Welcome to the sleeve family! You are going to love it! This is just another tool so you have to learn how to use it just like any other. People loose hundreds of pounds with the sleeve. Yes, we are held more accountable for what we eat right off the bat but at least it's a good habit to learn from the beginning. Rny you get malabsorption but eventually the body adapts and starts absorbing more again. You are going to heal quickly and probably not have very many problems with food or liquid.  Hang in there! Everything's going to be alright!     

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Tempestt
on 9/9/16 7:54 am
VSG on 09/07/16

Thank you so much!  Let's hope for a relatively short and easy healing process.  

Lodie
on 9/10/16 7:09 am
VSG on 10/15/14

It is just a bump in the road, you can be successful with either option. DH and I are nurses and chose the sleeve because it would maintain the same basic structural design we were born with. Read Frisco's posts on pyloric valve 101. He gives a great description of the function and how to make the best use of it. I would have done the RNY if that been the my only choice. It is a tried and true well accepted bariatric procedure . Best of luck moving forward ! 

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

Most Active
Recent Topics