Arizona Diet Green Tea

mylastchance
on 9/6/16 6:49 pm

I have such a hard time drinking water so in place of it I drink Arizona Diet Green Tea.  Can you weigh in on this .... am I killing me.  I drink about 96 oz per day plus my 49 gram protein shake in the morning, and sometimes a cup of coffee.  The tea is zero on all counts  except  < 1 g sugar and < 1 g carbs ...... I feel there are other things way more harmful than this and this is my way to keep hydrated.  I thought you all could help me with my choice of liquid to whether it's okay or not.  I know I am 6 plus years out and should know by now but things change with this WLS guidelines and just wondering if anyone has info on this. 

Thanks

Shari

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

NYMom222
on 9/6/16 7:11 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Is water best? yes, probably.... but I think most people drink variations of low cal drinks/coffee or tea and water. I personally like a lighter flavor so I usually do 1/2 and 1/2 with most things- 1/2 flavored whatever, 1/2 water. Lately I've been enjoying Vitamin water and 5 calorie cranberry juice as well as my coffee and tea.... and I drink way more than one cup of coffee and tea...

Why the guilt? Is there a reason you think it is not working for you?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mylastchance
on 9/6/16 7:41 pm

I wouldn't say there is guilt behind my question, and yes it works for me, but I was just wondering from a health stand-point, though I know I am not asking Dr.s on here.   I keep telling myself it is fine,  and I do feel it is better than nothing.  I burned out on crystal light, and can't do flavored waters at all.  Bad experience with that once and now just thinking of them makes me sick.  I had gone through a period of a couple of cups of coffee in the morning,  and maybe one 20 oz bottle of water and that was it for the day so I know that isn't good ..... for anyone.  I guess I just wanted to get that okay from those who are WLS people like me and because many of you are very knowledgeable in the do's and don't  and pay way more attention to things than I do.  I have gotten where I am basically just living life and since May I have been coming here for support and motivation after a 25 lb regain, that as of today is all gone.  I managed to beat that beast back down.  It was a rough road gaining it and a rougher one losing it.  But lesson learned and don't want to go there again.  LOL Thanks for your input,  I appreciate it.

5' 1"

NYMom222
on 9/6/16 10:29 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Good for you for beating the 25# regain!! and quickly!!  At some point you probably burn out on the tea too, and move onto something else. My dieticians have said when it comes to liquids- it all counts. Granted I know they would like some of it to be plain ole water in an ideal world.... but yeah for a lot of us that just ain't gonna happen. I find it much harder to drink plain water now too...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mylastchance
on 9/7/16 6:34 am

I know you're right,  I'll burn out on this too,  and will have to find a new vise.  For now this is it.  I will have to do some experimenting with different flavors I like that could be mixed with water....oh wait,  maybe it could be bourbon and I could freeze the water!!! I'll call it bourbon on the rocks  ....   Whoa....I think I am on to something!!!  LOL.........just kidding...

5' 1"

Grim_Traveller
on 9/6/16 7:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's fine. The only thing about twa is, it will block about 85 percent of any iron you may be eating or taking withing a couple hours of drinking it. If you are taking iron, and you probably should be, don't drink the tea for 2 hours before or after.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mylastchance
on 9/6/16 7:49 pm

There you go,  I didn't know that.  So thanks for the heads up on that one.  That's why I am here asking my question.  Someone helps every-time. 

5' 1"

Lodie
on 9/7/16 6:31 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Congratulations on loosing the regain! You must have really buckled down to lose it that fast. Regarding the tea, I would be interested to look at what it is sweetened with.  I prefer to use stevia rather that Splenda because from what I have read it is not as bad for your system. Splenda is said to change its chemical composition as digested. That being said, I don't drink plain water either. DH and I drink a lemon ginger homemade H20 drink. I personally I don't mind using Splenda on occasion, but try to avoid if I have the choice. You could try adding just an ounce or two of plain water to your tea to boost your water intake w/o changing the taste your going for. If you tolerate it well you could choose to make a very gradual move in a different direction. 

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

mylastchance
on 9/7/16 6:48 am

Thanks for your reply,  and I have been thinking of coming up with something with a flavor I can handle.  I did buckle down with my regain.  I have a big day on the 23rd of this month that is important and wanted to get back to my goal for it.  I went back to basics and threw out all the little things that had made their way back into my life.  I bumped up the liquids, protein, etc and dusted off the bike and found my way to walk around the track during breaks and lunch at work.  I work in a high school so the track is right there waiting for me everyday.  I also do all the stairs on the bleachers after work before I go home....more exercise than I ever have done but I just wanted this so much that I had to make it happen.  Can't wait for the 23rd to get here.  Wooo, Wooo!

5' 1"

Neesie57
on 9/7/16 3:03 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I can't drink tea straight.  It's always mixed with water, ½ and ½.  Even at restaurants I ask for ½ tea, ½ water.  I do get some funny looks from some servers, but in general I get a perfect mix.  If I water the tea down, I generally don't even need to add sweetener.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics