Family&friends keep saying you can do it with out

Yendi
on 9/4/16 6:46 pm

I should start by saying this would be a revision. As I have had three previous surgeries correcting problems due to a band and hernias as well as cosmetic procedures. 

It feels like telling people you're going to remarry someone you divorced in theory. In reality I realize nothing could be further from the truth.

I've been making a conscious effort to find friends and people who have been through this for support. 

Unfortunately, family and friends have been very difficult. Though it stems from love the outcome is the same. 

To complicate matters I travel in a small intimate group of people where three of them  have lost weight ranging from over 200 pounds 150 pounds "the natural way"  something that ****** me off when I hear it ...  I lost over 100 pounds with my band and I worked as hard as anyone else.   Anyway they have all gathered around in their determine to save me ...

I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that there is the small voice That says maybe I should try. But even louder is a voice saying I have a lifetime of failure to prove why I should continue with my surgery .

Not to forget to mention all the psychobabble that I get ....  Everyone's is a armchair doctor or nutritionist psychiatrist etc.  i'm very aware that all people who have some type of upset in their life don't have a weight problem and vice versa.   So gaining weight back I get all the "love "and advice from people that is either unsolicited redundant or just plain  annoying at this point. 

I realize I need to be focused and create healthy boundaries and make these decisions on my own. However, I just needed to vent. Amongst people that understand. 

You guys are all outstanding and your stories are amazing and inspiring. It really is the glue that's keeping me together knowing that this horrible nightmare could come to an end and a new healthy life can begin.  It helps to keep strong because I have created so many fears about this process due to all the adhesions and scar tissue that will probably be there at this point  in addition to family and friends pleading with me to try. Thank you guys for listening 

Can anyone relate? 

Any successful revisions out there? 

Laura in Texas
on 9/4/16 8:26 pm

It sounds like you must talk about your weight struggles with your friends so you have given them permission to give you unsolicited advice. I think you need to stop talking about it with them. Make the best decision for you and tell them to keep their opinions to themselves. I think it is amazing you did so well with the lapband (even though you did regain). That shows great dedication. I think you will do well with the sleeve and will have a much better chance to keep it off. 

There are a lot of successful band to sleeve revisions here. I hope they will respond to your post.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Yendi
on 9/4/16 8:52 pm

You're absolutely right I did I really regret sharing anything. Thank you so much for your response I hope that the band patients to reply to :-) 

Renren
on 9/4/16 9:59 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I myself would just tell them, "Well, You could be right, I'll think about it," Then I'd go and do whatever I had decided to do.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/4/16 10:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

"My body, my decision. End of story."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Pams-A-Changing
on 9/4/16 10:47 pm
VSG on 08/17/16

I am a new sleever and have been lucky to have the support of friends and family, so am not exactly in your position.  However when I was researching options and making my decision to sleeve, I was not sure the kind of reaction I would be getting and had a prepared canned response in my head should anyone express doubt or offer opinions such as what you are running into.  "Different things work for different people, and this is the path I feel will work for me, thank you".    

Good luck, and once you are on the other side of the revision and seeing results, you will WOW all the nay-sayers!

HW  326

SW  310

CW  252

Gwen M.
on 9/5/16 9:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is one of the reasons I didn't tell anyone, aside from my closest people, about my surgery pre-op.  I didn't want to invite discussion, which is what it would have done - as you've now learned yourself!  

I think your best option now is to decide on a script and stick with it.  Something like "thanks for letting me know how you feel.  How about the latest episode of Walking Dead, can you believe Carl died?!"  Then repeat that script every single time.  Eventually people will get the idea that this isn't up for discussion.  

In addition - stop bringing the subject up yourself with the people who aren't safe to discuss it with.  

You can do this.  I'm sorry that the people in your life aren't more supportive of your bodily autonomy :(

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/5/16 10:13 am

Boundaries. Put them in place and enforce them. If you allow people a say, they will take it.

No one said much to me because I do not invite comment. I do not discuss my weight struggles with anyone who isn't a WLSer and once in awhile my DH. I was 300+ pounds, so no one was surprised I pursued surgery.

As Julie said, it is your body. Others do not have the right to input unless you give it.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Yendi
on 9/5/16 12:35 pm

Everyone thank you so much.  You were all correct my body and put up the boundaries.   I think because that stupid lap band took me through so many surgeries and troubles  it's caused everyone around me who has no clue what any of this means to become more sensitive.

They are unable to intellectualize or understand the difference between a sleeve and a band. They hAve lumped everything into one whole category pretty much summing it up by saying if that failed this will too. When in fact that was the farthest thing from the truth I was very successful with it.   However, clearly needing help as I gain the weight back without.

Certainly doesn't give them a right  but it has made it a little more difficult to live privately. But the bottom line is exactly what all of you has said and I really needed to hear that reinforced. My body no questions asked. 

Unfortunately I don't have anyone else in my life who is a W LS patient.  And the doctor I'm going to will be in Canada.  I live here in lovely Pennsylvania where I purchased private insurance therefore it's not covered  any longer.  Would've loved to had surgery locally and had to support her up too. But now I see these boards can be incredibly useful ??

Thank you guys so much looking forward to joining you very soon !

Yendi
on 9/5/16 12:44 pm

FYI  sparkle kitty cat meme that you have says everything to me LOL I think it sums it up I feel just like that adorable little dog! Just got to take the leap !

Most Active
Recent Topics