Snacks

Anita
on 9/5/16 1:00 pm

Do you have a recipe for your homemade jerky??? I'd love to try some.....do they need to be refrigerated once done? Thanks!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/16 3:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Jerky doesn't need to be refrigerated, and keeps for a LONG time! It's actually one of the earliest methods of meat preservation, archaeologists have found evidence of meat-drying among the peoples of South America from the 1550s!

I use an electric dehydrator, snagged it on amazon for $50ish. You can often find them at Goodwill or garage sales, but if you're planning to use it often, it's good to buy a new one.

• Slice a piece of London broil (2lb or so) into 1/4" thick slices, going diagonal to the grain. The thinner the better!

• Stick the meat in a zipper bag along with half a jar of Montreal seasoning mix (I use the pre-made stuff from the spice aisle in the store) and enough hot sauce to cover the meat well, probably about 16 - 20oz. I use a bottle of habanero and a bottle of cayenne (Yucatan Sunshine and Louisiana sauces) since we like it spicy, but you can try any mix you like.

• Let it marinate in the fridge overnight.

• Lay the meat out on the dehydrator trays so that the pieces don't touch. Run on high heat for 8 - 10 hours, depending on how crunchy you like it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Anita
on 9/5/16 5:39 pm

THANKS Julie.....going to the store tomorrow to get the meat....I have Montreal Seasoning here already. I have a NuWave convection oven....and I think I can use that for dehydrating stuff....gotta check the manual.

Will let you know how it turns out......I'm looking forward to something new in the snack section of my kitchen......kinda tired of cheese and leftovers from dinner.....and protein bars.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/16 6:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I had no idea you could use those for dehydrating, very neat! I'd love to hear how yours turns out.

Pretty much any combination of sauces can work well. We like ours spicy and have TONS of hot sauces available (yay Arizona!) so that's how I always make it anymore. I've also had good luck with teriyaki + worcestershire, and sweet chili with soy sauce. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Anita
on 9/5/16 10:23 pm

will keep you updated........hopefully my day tomorrow won't be too insane and I'll actually get to do my prep

sds0029
on 9/5/16 7:01 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Beef jerky, baked spicy pork skins and celery and supremely spicy hummus

FuturePinUp
on 9/6/16 9:13 am

Ditto to what others have said:

Full-fat cheese, meats (hard salami, kielbasa, etc.)., beef jerky/sticks, moon cheese, pork rinds, beef jerky, tuna packs, smoked salmon, hard-boiled eggs, and crackers made of cheese (like Whisps, Wausome Wafers, etc.).

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Keith L.
on 9/7/16 12:14 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

We've been mixing full fat greek yogurt with ranch dressing mix and dipping cucumber slices in it.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Gilsanchezjr
on 9/8/16 9:50 am
VSG on 06/07/16

Low fat cheese sticks, turkey deli slices, single serve tuna pouches, protein shakes, no sugar jello, no sugar Popsicles, cherry tomatoes, light baby bell cheese.

Thanks,

HW - 309, SW - 243, CW - 186

diane S.
on 9/11/16 11:32 am

snow peas, baby carrots and grapes are good if you are sick of protein stuff. Also tofu comes in little sticks that are smoked and taste pretty good.  A few almonds can be very filling. avoid cashews. you can get single serving cottage cheese in some places if you can keep it cool. Also edamame.    gl   diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics