Dr Jaime Ponce De Leon vs Dr. Ariel L Ortiz, OCC

saskatchewan_lady
on 9/3/16 12:49 pm - Saskatchewan, SK

Well I have narrowed it down to these two surgeons but after having lunch with two ladies who had VSG with Dr Pompa a few years ago, they mentioned that Dr Ortiz (there are a couple so don't know if it's Ariel Oritz) uses stainless steel veterinary staples (common in Mexico) but charges and tells you he is using Titanium.   This scares me as how do you know they are using titanium when you are put under in surgery???

As well apparently a Dr. Ponce De Leon was incarcerated due to botched surgeries but cannot seem to find anything on that. Problem is there are a three Dr. Ponce De Leon's in Mexico so how do I know it's Dr. Jaime Ponce De Leon or other ones?

Dr. Ariel Ortiz is accredited and a member of the ACMS and the Mexico Bariatic Surgeons as well as operating out of a Center of Excellence, hence the higher fee, whereas I cannot verify anything on Dr. Jaime Ponce De Leon although I have been emailed proof of his licence.  However I do know of two ladies; one who works with me, who swears by Dr. Jaime Ponce De Leon - both have had no complications.  My co workers swears she has titanium staples but I said "how do you know" and her answer was "they told me".  That just isn't good enough for me

I have been researching this for almost two years now and want to make my decision next week and book it as I am so tired of looking and feeling the way I do. I know this is just a tool and am committed but struggling on which of these two surgeons to choose.  Dr. Ariel Ortiz is about $1500 US higher than Dr. Jaime Ponce De Leon and frankly his patient coordinator Christine was a bit condescending and flippant so it's turned me off a bit.

Everyone says to go with my gut but in light of this new information, I am confused again as potential red flags on both.

help?

McLassie
on 9/3/16 2:10 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

I wish I could answer your question, but I'd like to suggest also trying the Mexico board if you haven't already. You can also try the search function to see what others have said about those surgeons in that past. 

Best of luck!

KansasPrincess
on 9/4/16 2:42 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

I used dr Jaime ponce de leon through Mexico Bariatric Center. I recently had surgery here in the USA and they looked at my sleeve and the drs. words "your sleeve looks amazing"

I don't know if that is any help to you but you can message me if you'd like.

spencerella on here also used dr. ponce de leon in Tijuana mexico

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

b4mylife
on 5/23/17 7:28 am - West Bountiful, UT

I have been researching for a couple of years and if course cist is ONE factor. With details I found that the $3699 did not include my hotel or possible need for hernia repair. The hernia repair was another $1000 and the hotel for my companion (mom) was another $328, along with additional fees for using a cc or debit card vs cashier check. The $6500 one is at a surgical center of excellence, includes all but airfare and guarantees care if you have any complications ( like if you have a leak).

So, just like in the US, you get what you pay for. I am doing self pay anyway. .the difference when added all up is about $1000, I feel better going with bariatric center of excellence and guarantee. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY LOSING!

saskatchewan_lady
on 5/23/17 9:15 am - Saskatchewan, SK

Well I had my surgery October 5 2016 with Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon and could not have been happier. This is was my first surgery in my life and to say the least, I was terrified. My friend came down with me as she had the surgery as well two years earlier with him. The hospital was so clean you could eat off the floor. There were nurses coming in to check on me every hour or so, according to my friend. The only big discomfort is when they removed the drainage tube. They had given me a relaxant to help me but I will say it was not enjoyable. Everything else was great. 10 out of 10. Seriously. Dr Ponce does not speak English but he has an English speaking Assistant who spoke English very well. I found them both very kind and caring. After the surgery, the toughest part is getting up to walk because well you don't feel like it and I felt like my back was going to snap in half. I am glad I spent another day in Tijuana recovering as I guess I had a lot of "air" to release. lol.

Out of all my friends who have had this done... and there are a lot... no one likes to talk about it because people tell them they took the easy way out. Having surgery, changing your eating habits for life, exercising regularly and taking vitamins - there is nothing easy about it. In fact I say quite the opposite...we are the most courageous and committed to go to this extreme. For me personally, I am single. I was tired of hearing "Oh you are so pretty, too bad you are fat." After so many years of that I lost my confidence and the men that were into me, had big beer guts and missing teeth and frankly that's not what I want so I decided if I had a hope in you know what of finding love, I had to lose the weight.

I remember the number I was 30 days before my surgery as I asked my friend not to let me know and she let it slip the day we were coming back. I was so horrified. I cried for hours because I could not believe I let myself get to that point.

Well seven months later, NO COMPLICATIONS at all. I did the post-op with very expensive vitamins and powder (Vitaleph) for almost a month prior to surgery and Dr. Ponce said my liver was fantastic so one less incision. This heartburn that everyone talks about it, I get in once in a blue moon and it's not bad at all. The weight loss plan I had to follow and the foods, I followed it to a T and then some.... if I was supposed to be on certain foods for a week, I did it for 10-14 days as I wanted my stomach to heal. Unfortunately I am getting my cravings back but I believe this is more psychological and when I buy a bag of cheezies, I will rifle through half a bag and then my "angel" kicks in and I throw them in the garbage.

I am still losing weight but after 8 months from when I had all my tests done in Saskatchewan, I am down over 70 lbs. Now you should know I asked for a larger sleeve than normal as I am older and wanted to get my nutrients more from food than vitamins. Dr. Ponce de Leon was a bit resistant as he said I would lose less weight but I reminded him that this is a "tool" and to carry an extra 10 lbs at my age is far better for me. I just want to be healthy and happy and I am. People have noticed my confidence has soared and a lot of energy. I have 3 flights of stairs to go up and down for work many times a day and I was huffing and puffing... now I run up them. I also take a special pink powder in my protein shake that helps the shrinking skin stick to the bone better so I don't have the flabby arms like a lot of people do - I do have some but that's because I am not doing weights but I finally purchased some and I think my arms will tone up nicely. My friends tell me how great I look. I am still single but I know I have a better chance now than I did before. Granted I a so used to walking with my head down, I probably wouldn't notice if someone was checking me out. I still see the fat girl so that's going to take time to adjust. I uploaded a bunch of before and after photos but can't seem to figure out where they went nor was I able to sort them between pre-op and post-op. Thanks for listening and I cannot recommend Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon enough or his team. Just follow exactly what they tell you to do and you will be just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. 10 out of 10.

kelsey.easley
on 6/14/17 12:28 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics