Disappointed in Myself

shesticklish
on 9/6/16 6:40 pm

Lodie,

I would love a link to the podcasts you listen to. I plan to get sleeved in a few months and I want to take the time to work on my emotional self before my surgery.

Lodie
on 9/7/16 6:38 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Here it is, hope you find it helpful. You can also go to U Tube and search OA podcast and pull up various sites. You can use iTunes and search podcasts then download them to your device for listening whenever you choose.

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

White Dove
on 9/3/16 6:32 am - Warren, OH

You have a surgical honeymoon where you lose weight and it stays off. Sometime around two years out, the honeymoon ends. The body is smart. It knows that its weight is gone and it will fight to get it back.

Most people have 20 pounds of what he calls rebound weight gain. My surgeon urges us to go 10, 20 or even 30 pounds under his goal weight. That way there is a cushion for regain.

I am telling you this because you are not to blame for your regain. It is normal and what is expected.

Your surgeon is right that many people have very little weight loss with the sleeve. If you are like most people you were given a diet that included things like bread, rice, potatoes and oatmeal. It is what most people are given and what works for very few.

I started regaining at 30 months and gained a pound a week for twelve weeks. When I saw my nutritionist the first thing she had me cut out was protein shakes. She had me track every bite on My Fitness Pal. I had to stay at under 900 calories a day. I had to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.

I was allowed no bread, flour, sugar, crackers, cereal, potatoes, corn, peas, lima beans, rice, milk, sweets, or fruit. I use no butter, margarine, or oils. I cook with PAM. My meals were beef, pork, chicken, turkey or fish and a small amount of non-starchy vegetables. I needed fiber supplements and daily laxatives.

What I did will work for you if you are willing to do it. I lost a pound a week. I now work to maintain my weight at 1400 calories a day. I eat six small meals a day and keep them to 200 calories with my two large meals at 300 calories.

I weigh daily and wear a fitness tracker to work on getting in 10,000 steps a day. I use a food scale to weigh my food before I eat it. Once you adjust to a high protein low carb diet, you will feel wonderful and have no hunger. The first three days are the hardest.

You still have your sleeve, you just need to learn how to use it. You can lose all the weight you want. You just need to know and use the method that works.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cheapskate
on 9/3/16 9:57 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Why did your nut say to cut out the shakes?  More curious as to the reason behind it, it obviously worked. 

White Dove
on 9/3/16 10:42 am - Warren, OH

The people who are getting rich selling shakes tell you that they are for weight loss.  The truth is that they are just a quick way to take in a lot of calories that do not satisfy like dense protein does.  Shakes are fine when you really can't eat food, but after that they are just extra calories.  Most people can eat food after the first month or so.

cheapskate
on 9/3/16 11:28 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Thanks for the explanation!!  I really love my shakes

Renren
on 9/3/16 12:04 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

Great advice, and explained very well. You're an asset to this forum. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

White Dove
on 9/3/16 12:17 pm - Warren, OH

Thank you

Spanky123
on 9/3/16 3:11 pm

Oh my gosh , do I need to do this! I am 1.5 yr po and have gained 10 pounds. I went a little crazy when it was time to start adding some calories in and went beserk for a a month or two and gained 5-7 pounds and now the last 3 have creeped up 1/2 a pound at a time!. The thought of going back to 900 calories seems so undoable, I am burned out on straight protien. Right now I am trying to eliminate ALL snacking and getting back towalking, the heat was killing my walking. But I feel like I did before surgery, in a panic and trying to not gain anymore.  I think I have gotten lazy, not planning ahead for meals, then when I get hungry I make crap decisions. I have learned I CANNOT let myself get hungry, and night time snacking is my downfall. 

I know what I need to do, it's just getting in the mindset of doing it, idk how you guys get there.  After 2 days of cutting back , I'm dissapointed in not weightloss..lol. I know it's unrealistic, it took 6 months to gain it!

goddess0823
on 9/5/16 4:49 pm

Thank you for the support. I some may think I am not being honest but my surgeon told me I would gain some weight after a while and that was normal. Well I was thinking 5lbs. You know that feeling you get when the weight is piling on after you do some crazy weight loss pill or diet. that is what happened. Just out the blue nothing really changed in my eating or working out but the scale was moving up. I am going to do what you did for 30 days and see if I get traction in my weight loss. So essentially you ate  protein and veggies? I will try and see if it works for my body. You can PM me if there is anything else I need to know. I'd love to see a menu of what you ate in a day.

Most Active
Recent Topics