Disappointed in Myself

goddess0823
on 9/3/16 5:04 am

I am 2.5 years post op and I have gained 20 lbs. I am sad about the weight gain but even sadder that I never made goal. I really struggled with the entire post op process. I had a bad experience with the surgery that kept me in the hospital for 4 days and then I lost 30 lbs the first month and then lost another 20 over the course of the year. I worked out, ate my protein, drank water, and visited my nutritionist and surgeon many times trying to figure out why I didn't lose more weight. Finally, a year later my surgeon said some people just stop losing weight with the sleeve. I think this did something to me mentally because I took a step that risked my life to save my life only to be a little ahead of where I was. Another year has gone by and I maintained those 50 lbs lost with no problem. Now fast forward and for some reason I am gaining weight like I did some kind of fad diet and the weight is piling back on. 

No I don't need people beating me up right now. I need support. I have tried smaller portions just drinking protein shakes and I lose a few lbs and that's it. I don't know what to do as the things I did before don't seem to work for my body post surgery. Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been on this forum in a long time and I guess I am hoping I am not alone. I don't want to do another surgery I just want the weight off. I want to get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy. 

I guess I am just having moment.

jrog22
on 9/3/16 5:27 am, edited 9/2/16 10:28 pm
VSG on 08/20/16

I have certainly had those moments.  I lost 100 lbs on Atkins in 3.5 months and gained 120 lbs back over the next 12 months.  My surgery is later this month so I can't speak to post-op yet.  

There seems to be a lot of support here. Just remember to take it one meal and one day at a time. Get up, move around, eat the right things and you will be right back on track.

Keep us posted,

Jeremy

goddess0823
on 9/5/16 4:56 pm

Thank you!

happyteacher
on 9/3/16 6:02 am

It is good that you are aware and not giving up! Just out of curiosity- do you weigh/measure and track everything you eat? 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

goddess0823
on 9/5/16 4:42 pm

Honestly, I stopped tracking everything for two reasons. 1. I eat the same stuff over and over just in different ways: chicken, fish, shrimp, and beef and there. Steamed veggies. 2. When I tracked and realized I was eating the same foods it started playing with my mind. Maybe I need to start again maybe I'm over the whole I eat the same stuff syndrome.

TimeToHealRich2016
on 9/9/16 6:15 pm - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

Sorry if this comes across as over-simplification, but here goes!

I don't think you can change your condition without making some changes.  So, if you are NOT weighing food, suggest you change that and weigh food.  If you are not getting results eating the list you wrote down, suggest you CHANGE the food around.  And honestly Goddess, you should embrace change and I am sure you will see the changes you desire.

My folks always used to tell me the famous Albert Einstein quote which has always stuck with me... the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. 

You aren't insane but the we all have to make changes.  Good luck!

HW: 447 SW: 415 GW: 240 CW: 339 Total WL = 110

WL: Pre-op: -32 M1: -27 M2: -19 M3: -14 M4: -9 M5 & M6: -9 in progress

cappy11448
on 9/3/16 6:19 am

I am so sorry to hear of your frustration.  I can imagine how difficult it must be to not get the results from the surgery.  Its a lot to go thru, and then to not get results.

Let us know if you'd like to strategize on why you might be having trouble losing the weight.  But perhaps you've done that with you nutritionist and doctor already.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you.  We all deserve health, and I'm so sorry you are struggling.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

goddess0823
on 9/5/16 4:56 pm

Thank you for your support.

Lodie
on 9/3/16 6:23 am
VSG on 10/15/14

I just wanted to offer some a little support, I'm sorry you are struggling. I am also glad you are back on the forum. I can understand that when you read others success stories you wonder why can't I have that? It sounds like you have really followed up with the medical aspect of the post op process. Good for you, that is where I would have started. You didn't mention if they had done any scopes to see if structually the sleeve is correct. I guess I would want to rule that aspect out too. I feel sure many will offer support and maybe some very specific " get back on track" bullet points. Those are always really helpful. You should probably post what you are eating daily so they can help you look at your food honestly. Sometimes it also helps you to openly share in print because it makes you more aware too.

I would like to mention in the kindest way I know how, that maybe it is now time to look at the emotional reasons you may not have been as successful as you hoped.  There are so many reasons that we eat...we rationalize and we self sabotage in an effort to deal with almost any emotion .  Many of those issues we don't even recognize on a conscious level, insecurity, anger, fear. Please seek out a therapist that specializes in eating disorders. If money or insurance coverage is holding you back please try OA, there are also podcasts available ( I listen to one every night). I'm glad you are continuing to look for solutions.

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

goddess0823
on 9/5/16 4:44 pm

I've assessed my emotions and acknowledge that I was a huge emotional eater prior to surgery. I am in the best time of my life right now. I am recently married and started a wonderful job that has launched my career.  I have my moments when I just want to eat but I don't. Lately, I've been looking at blogs, videos, etc to help get me motivated and remind myself that I have to keep pressing forward.

Most Active
Recent Topics