Exercise?

SoCalDee
on 9/2/16 6:35 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

Can I just tell you how much I do NOT like to exercise?

I know I need to, but UGH. The gym terrifies me and the treadmill I have at home bores me. I bought some dance/exercise videos and I can now say what I always suspected.... I am indeed the most uncoordinated person on earth!

Does anyone like to exercise?

Ok, enough whining.... I am going to try the dancing thing again. Hope I don't trip over my own feet 

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

Secrets224
on 9/2/16 6:42 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Does your gym have Zumba? If you like music and dancing and that might motivate you,  try Zumba! It's awesome! And trust me...  Nobody knows what they're doing in those classes except the instructor,  so you'll be in great company. It's fun and a great workout! I aspire to become a Zumba certified instructor after surgery/weight loss bc I love it that much! 

Surg. Date: 9/27/2016 VSG

HW: 334 * SW: 312 * CW: 188* GW: 175

*Mommy of 2 BEAUTIFUL little girls who make my life go round*

Gwen M.
on 9/2/16 6:43 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't like exercise pre-op, now I love it.  It's really important to find something you enjoy doing - keep experimenting until you do :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jamrodriguez
on 9/2/16 11:34 pm
On September 3, 2016 at 1:43 AM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

I didn't like exercise pre-op, now I love it.  It's really important to find something you enjoy doing - keep experimenting until you do :)

This!

I hated exercise my whole life until I found something I love  (kickboxing)! The key is to try new things and push the limits of what your body can do (within reason of course)! 

I'm uncoordinated AF so dance fitness doesn't usually bode well for me. But punching and kicking stuff... that's something I can get down with. 

Everyone is different. You'll find your thing!

Gwen M.
on 9/3/16 4:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Exactly :)  I read once that "the best exercise for everyone is the same - it's the exercise you'll do."

It's so challenging to try new things, especially, I think, when you have a history of obesity.  I force myself to try every new thing four times since it seems like the first 1-2 times I always feel uncoordinated and awkward.  If I force myself to try something four times, it gets me beyond that phase a little bit so I can actually tell if I enjoy the thing on its own merits and flaws, instead of judging it based on MY merits and flaws.  (If that makes sense.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NANNY13
on 9/2/16 8:18 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

I love it! Always have but it was  challenging at a size 18. I now wear 0's and 1's and it is a whole lot easier! How about line dancing? Lots of places give free lessons

frisco
on 9/2/16 8:51 pm

Exercise-----------> a good thing

The key is find some activities that are sustainable for the long haul.

Most who take up 9 Zumba classes, 3 spin classes, yoga, 5k's and Taekwondo rarely can sustain.

Don't get me wrong, going from obese to super athlete is very cool and even if it's just for the WL phase, but sustaining for the long haul is most important.

Big props to the people that can sustain athlete level, that's about a handful of people that I've seen here in the last 7 years that continue to this day.

Even gym memberships have a high failure rate..... If your like me, you go religiously for a few months, than it becomes less and less. Most time life just gets in the way and if you don't like it your always looking for an excuse to not go...... oops, the wind blew, not going to the gym !

I lost neat 200lbs. in my WL phase by walking an hour on most days. Now I mix it up between walking, recreational cycling, golf, tennis, motorcycling and generally being active.

Not saying what I do is "the" way.... my point is to find some things that you can do for years !

Sustainability !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

jrog22
on 9/3/16 5:13 am
VSG on 08/20/16

I am just getting started on this journey so I can't say what will work for me for certain.  However, I have a very good friend of mine that has been doing triathlons for a while now and loves it.  I think I like the idea of exercising for a purpose other than just the health benefits.  What I mean is if you sign up for an event your daily training has an end goal. That goal being to finish the event.  Whether it is a couch to 5k, a triathlon, a short running race, etc. you still need to "force" yourself tor train.

While I am too heavy to do the running and biking at this time for a triathlon I have been swimming.  I have found it to be a great low-impact workout that I enjoy.  Hopefully you will find something you like.  It is way better when you don't dread the though5 of exercise from the moment you wake up.

Jeremy

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/16 10:28 am

I am one of those long timers who continued to exercise. I ended up gearing back the amount and did not see the need to go 6 days a week to the gym after a year or so. My weight was good and I had to be realistic about my time. 

I enjoy the gym because I can be "scheduled". I go three times per week (sometimes more, IF I have the fee time) and do strength training and follow that with cardio. I block the time out on my calendar so it has become "me" time. If I didn't do that, I would end up finding excuses not to go. 

I tried all sorts of different types of exercises before I discovered how much I enjoyed strength training. I tried speed walking and water aerobics and jazzercise and step classes and I even tried "training" for the Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco (I did it, but did not love the after effects - too sore. I'm just not built to run! Sprint, yes, Run, no! LOL!). I also bought a bike last winter and really enjoy riding, but it is hard for me to find the time to devote to long rides. 

My advice is to try on several types of exercise that interest you. You don't have to stick to any of them. Keep searching until you find one you like. 

Mike B.
on 9/3/16 12:06 pm
None of us were perfect when we started doing some type of exercise program, but at least we are moving. Who cares what you look like when you put those dance exercise videos on. The fact that you are moving and off the couch is a great start. I have to agree with you about the dreadmill, it is extremely boring for me also. However, being a runner I use that dreadmill a lot. What really works best for me is, working out with a friend. I hate running alone, and running with someone makes the time and miles just pass by much quicker. Plus, it give me that accountability I need. When I'm by myself, it's easy to talk myself out of going for a run. When a friend goes with me, motivates me to get it done. Good luck, I hope you find an exercise routine you can stick with for the long haul.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Most Active
Recent Topics