FA/ OAA Need to cage this monster!

2breakfree
on 8/27/16 2:14 pm - NC

I continue to struggle. A friend of mine suggested going to a food addicts meeting and work a twelve step program. I went to the meeting sounded exactly what I might need. After calling a sponsor and getting the meal plan. I started it and had constant foamies....... when I spoke with her regarding the amount of food on this plan. She got a little gruff and said that I didn't want the plan to work. I tried to explain that I had a sleeve and she just said " you have to eat all the food on the plan, just as the plan is written" well I just could not eat three times a day and get that amount of food in. Has anyone out there had experience working with being addicted to food?

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change and the courage to change the things I can. Above all the wisdom to know the difference    
LeapSecond
on 8/27/16 2:45 pm - AR

I would think that a 12 step program is a good idea. A good place to have face to face support .  It should be one that encourages some self reflection and promote working on understanding our own personal issues related to others and ourselves.  It sounds like even if you were willing to commit to the concept and start working the steps you may not have found the right sponsor. They are not "one size fits all" . Whoever you choose should be very good at listening and if they are, they would hear what you are saying regarding the food plan needing to be individualized for your nutritional needs and capacity.  I listen to OA podcasts all the time for motivation and guidance. Maybe you could use those while you search for to sponsor you that has a lifestyle and attitude that you would want to emulate and implement . Don't give up on it completely yet! We need all the tools we can get right?

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

acbbrown
on 8/27/16 5:02 pm - Granada Hills, CA

You have to realize that there are people of all sorts in those programs. She's an oddball of sorts. 

I've been working the OA program and it's saved my life. I initially lost 230 lbs and then bc of my addiction/disease, I then regained 90 lbs very quickly. I could not stop gaining let alone lose until I started working the 12 steps. I'm now so much happier joyous and free with serenity around my food and as a side effect, 70 lbs down now in 8.5 months. I do 3 meals and 2 snacks and nothing in between and my abstinence is no sugar, no flour and no personal binge foods. Mine is perhaps somewhat stricter than most but that's what I needed to get control and life has become so much better than I ever imagined. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/16 2:10 pm

If you're going to OA, you should not have been given a food plan. That's for each member to work out for him/herself. OA (or any 12-step) program focuses on dealing with junk food addiction on an emotional and spiritual (not necessarily religious) level. OA doesn't dwell on the food itself. In my group, it's frowned on to even mention individual foods of any kind.

You need to get a different "sponsor." She doesn't know what she's doing.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

2breakfree
on 8/28/16 5:09 pm - NC

A very Big Thank you to all of you for your support. I knew this was the place to find answers. It's like coming home. I will find a new sponsor and I will listen to OA podcasts what a great idea. Feeling inspired ?

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change and the courage to change the things I can. Above all the wisdom to know the difference    
Most Active
Recent Topics