5 Weeks Post Op - NO Weight Loss

Keith L.
on 8/19/16 11:43 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Thanks for the reply!

I do see a difference in her physically. We are just not seeing it on the scale.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

MissNexxie
on 8/19/16 8:07 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Maybe check the ratio of protein to carbs she is eating?

In contrast to other responses here, I had a slower weight loss until I did increase my calories. From around 800 up to closer to 1000, mostly with an extra protein shake. That worked for me quite well, seemed to kick my metabolism into gear.  And  my exercise has been mostly walking. Nothing extreme.  Plus I really bumped up my protein, to closer to 80-100g per day and kept carbs under 75.  

Her journey may require a different caloric formula than the rest of us. That said, it is important to ensure she's not straying from the proper foods, especially too many carbs, even fruit/veggies.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Keith L.
on 8/19/16 11:43 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Thanks for the reply! I am working on getting her protein higher.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/19/16 12:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You may feel that you know what you're doing and how to give advice, which is great.

You are not a doctor.

Stop trying what YOU can do, and let an actual expert get involved.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Keith L.
on 8/19/16 12:23 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
on 8/19/16 12:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes, I've seen that you've had medical tests done. But everything I see (of what you've posted here) suggests that you're the one attempting to call the medical shots.

Her sugar is "higher than [you] would like."

"[You] need to see the actual test results" from the thyroid scan.

"[You] may have her stop her blood pressure meds."

Keith L.
on 8/19/16 1:06 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yes because doctors follow a script and are ok with ranges set by a government and an insurance industry that makes money by you fitting into a range. So forgive me if I don't blindly listen to doctors. If her T3/T4 levels were within the "acceptable" range, it does not mean her thyroid is not the issue. If it were at the very low end of that range her thyroid could still be the issue. If her sugar is at 100 her doctor wouldn't think twice about it, but after 7 weeks of eating ultra low carb her sugar should be much lower than that, but her doctor would not consider that. So yes, I do need to see the actual numbers. As for her BP meds her doctor said she could stop but also suggested the meds she is on improve kidney function so may actually help her flush fat from her body, but the research I just did says that weight gain is a common side effect of the drug. 

Don't assume because I am on a forum like this I don't know what I am doing or talking about. I have done my research, but it doesn't mean that different opinions may not have something else worth investigating.

on 8/19/16 1:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

My assumption is based not on participation, but on the fact that you (AFAIK) haven't been to med school. Thanks! 

Good luck on your research.

frisco
on 8/19/16 12:25 pm, edited 8/19/16 5:27 am

I'd just bump the fluids and protein a bit, stay closer to the 600cal number (till goal)

But more importantly.....

Stay consistent !!!!

Wig Wagging and adding mulched green purple tar based tree bark incense only leads to problems for most. Get experimental in maintenance after the WL.

Keep it basic and simple, to many people (including myself) tend to overthink a process that in it's basic form is pretty easy !

Be patient and stay with it and it will come to her....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Keith L.
on 8/19/16 12:59 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Thanks man, you may be on to something with the consistency because she hasn't been. She is all over the place and when I think back to when I was at her point I pretty much ate the same stuff every day and only adjusted the amount to get my calories between the 600-800 per day.

Most Active
Recent Topics