5 Weeks Post Op - NO Weight Loss

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/19/16 12:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Starting or stopping medication is something that should be done by a doctor, not a well-meaning family member with no medical training.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/19/16 12:52 pm

Stopping a med suddenly can be harmful or dangerous, and it is nothing to fool with.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Amy R.
on 8/21/16 5:33 pm

I may have her stop her blood pressure meds for a couple of days to see what happens. She is not at risk.

WHAT???  For the love of God please don't start tinkering with anyone's meds.   If she is not at risk why is she on those meds in the first place?  Some doctor somewhere thought they were necessary and I'm guessing he didn't just pull that opinion out of his hat.

This whole thread is wrong on so many levels but messing with another persons meds isn't just wrong or disturbing.  It is down right dangerous.

I truly hope you've had a change of heart and that I just haven't seen it yet since I've not gotten to the end of the thread.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/19/16 12:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 19, 2016 at 6:15 AM Pacific Time, kairk wrote:

Hey Keith, 

Just going to say it: You know that too few calories theory is total crap. There is a large amount of scientific evidence to now contradict the 30+ year old theory (that incidentally was not based on scientific evidence!). We could discuss the dynamics of reduced calories, muscle loss and metabolism, but the idea of the body not losing weight due to lack of calories is just bad science. 

With that out of the way, I've got some ideas on what might be the issue:

The first thing I would do is ask her PCP to rule out hypo thyroid. Most bariatric clinics don't test for this prior to surgery. It's good to have a baseline anyhow. Low thyroid could be playing a major role, if that is indeed the case. 

The other area to investigate is medications. There are several mood stabilizing drugs that cause the body to hold on or gain weight. There are alternatives to those meds. 

Weighing, measuring and tracking macro nutrients are imperative. Protein 80-100 grams, fewer than 40 carbs and let the rest fats fall where they may. I am not a proponent of adding a lot of extra fat during WL. I think it can be counter productive (e.g. coconut oil or grass fed butter in coffee and that sort of thing). 

Last, and you can shoot me for this, but is it possible that she is eating things off program (nibbling) without realizing the damage it's doing or possibly in secret? As outlandish as that may seem, I have seen that a few times before. 

If she truly is doing everything right as you say, I"d recommend keeping the calories below 600 for a full week and see what happens. If she still isn't losing by doing all of the above, my guess would be an underlying medical issue. 

I honestly hope you find the answer. I'm sure your wife is beyond frustrated. My heart goes out to her. Please give her my best and wish her luck for me! 

Respectfully, I have to take issue with your comment regarding mood-stabilizing meds.

"Alternatives to those meds," which usually involve NOT taking them at all, is most often not an alternative at all. I don't have citations at hand, but medication is often MUCH more effective than non-pharmaceutical "alternatives" (diet/exercise, "natural" treatment).

Switching meds can be an exhausting process of trial-and-error. Scaling down one med and ramping up another takes weeks, if not longer, and mental health can suffer in the interim. Plus there's no promise that a different med would be more effective (or have fewer side effects) after all of that shuffle.

Either way, doing something that could shake someone's mental health is NOT a wise course of action during the early post-op phase when emotions and mental health are already shaky.

So yes, it may be worth looking into the med situation. But writing the situation off as "just find an alternative" is disrespectful at best, dangerous at worst.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/16 1:29 pm

I understand your concern, and need to make clear that that is not at all what I was suggesting. I simply meant that there are multiple prescription meds available that can be tried, if one is causing weight gain, increased appetite, etc.... I have a very close friend who has been trying to find the right med for almost a year. She is med sensitive and I understand what an exhausting process it can be. 

In my post I suppose I could have made it more clear that I was referring to an alternative medication, not an holistic or behavioral alternative. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/19/16 12:50 pm

I am 100% with Julie on this. There are weight-neutral mood meds, but this not a good time to start changing from a med that works. The consequences can be dire.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/16 1:30 pm

Kate, I posted this to Julie. It should address your position on my comment.

I understand your concern, and need to make clear that that is not at all what I was suggesting. I simply meant that there are multiple prescription meds available that can be tried, if one is causing weight gain, increased appetite, etc.... I have a very close friend who has been trying to find the right med for almost a year. She is med sensitive and I understand what an exhausting process it can be. 

In my post I suppose I could have made it more clear that I was referring to an alternative medication, not an holistic or behavioral alternative. 

White Dove
on 8/19/16 1:32 am - Warren, OH

I joined Weigh****chers in 1973.  That was 43 years ago and I still remember how amazed I was by the lengths that people will go to so that they can eat the food that they want.  One lady kept her doughnuts and cookies hidden in the clothes hamper, because no one in her family did laundry.  Her bathroom time was also her eating time.

Another would buy a cake everyday.  She would serve half of it to her family while proudly not touching a crumb of it.  The next day, she would go to the bakery and buy the exact same cake, eat the half from the night before and half of the new one and then serve the "leftover" cake that night while letting everyone watch her fantastic will power.

Food is an addiction and an addict will always find a way to get what they want.  Take your wife on a two-week vacation to a place where there are no stores and spend every second with her.  Insist on providing her with all of her food and drink and have nothing available for her to snack on, cook or bake with. 

I am thinking an isolated cabin in the woods, close to a town where you can drive together for meals of fresh fish and non-starchy vegetables. Make sure she has no means of sneaking away for food. 

You will see a large weight loss and see that weight come back when she is back home.  It is a hard thing to accept,  but it is impossible to control another person.   

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 8/19/16 4:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Keith gave you the perfect answer. First, check for a medical reason.

A five week stall in the first five weeks is hard to fathom. If she doesn't have some serious medical ussue, she is eating a lot more than you think.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 8/19/16 6:33 am

The only thing I can think of aside from inaccurate calorie tracking is perhaps severe constipation. That can account for 15 pounds. Edema or water retention can also add a crazy amount of pounds, so if she is feeling bloated, rings are tight, ankles are swollen kind of thing. Time to take some measurements, perhaps she might see a difference in that.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics