New at the forum. 3 weeks out

lorainesleev
on 8/18/16 11:08 am
VSG on 07/30/16

hello everyone!!

Im 3 weeks out. My doctor said that after 3 weeks i could start on solids so I did! and i had a bowl of rice which i loved!!! and went down great!!! didn't feel that full or floated!! I think my new stomach is not that small since day one i was able to consume more than a cup of tea in 10 mins and jello. during my second phase which basically consisted in baby food and mashed potatoes (or carrots, or any other vegetable). i was able to eat with no problem 150 ml of baby food an 500 ml of protein for breakfast. And after 1 hour and a half i would have a cup of tea or jello then in the afternoon i used to have almost one cup of smashed potatoes and chicken with carrots ( mashed) and maybe a glass of water and again in the night. i already had a sip of soda, no problems there it felt weird because of the gas but didn't hurt. I haven't had any problems at all or any pain. I've lost almost 12 pounds, i know is not that much but since I've been feeling great Im not really in a hurry.

ladygodiva1228
on 8/18/16 12:51 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You're not going to like what I have to say, but ditch the rice.  Why wouldn't your first solids be protein?  Eating rice and mashed potatoes will slow and stop your weight loss.  I also wouldn't be drinking soda of any kind.

What is does your post-op plan say for foods you should be eating? 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

lorainesleev
on 8/18/16 1:10 pm
VSG on 07/30/16

I'm consuming protein shakes (Isopure zero carbs) in the morning a 25 grams equivalent. and I had chicken along with the rice, but you are right, rice might slow down my weight loss but i was so happy i was able to eat it. but i will listen to you and cut carbs out. my doctor was not that specific he actually said "after week 3 you can eat what you eat on regular basis" i only had 35 lbs overweight. 

luvmypuggies
on 8/19/16 10:04 am

If you are legit, then welcome. :)   I think you should do a lot more research about how to successfully live life with the sleeve and how to lose the weight and keep it off, because I feel that your doc is not giving you the full story and is seriously misleading you.

You should have received a food plan specifying what you should eat and how much for the first couple of months after surgery. Please try to stick to that religiously to make sure you heal well.  If you didn't get one, I think there are samples in some older posts on this forum.

The main thing that alarmed me is that your doc said you could go back to eating what you used to.  Wow, that's a recipe for failure.  Eating the way we used to is what made us obese to begin with - the sleeve will not prevent you from regaining all your weight if you eat the wrong stuff.  Eat protein first, and that means "dense protein" not liquid.  Protein drinks are great for making sure you hit your protein targets, but for weight loss and maintenance, it's important to eat something that sticks around in your stomach for a while (like meat).  Pls read the post by Frisco called Pyloric Valve 101 to better understand.

Good luck to you!

Kudzu
on 8/18/16 1:04 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

Some people say they don't feel full; I definitely do. Your choices, though - you know you need protein and that's to be eaten first then non starchy vegs? 

lorainesleev
on 8/18/16 1:11 pm
VSG on 07/30/16

I actually had carrots and chicken with the rice and in the morning my first meal is always a protein shake (Isopure zero carbs)

NHPOD9
on 8/18/16 1:05 pm

You really need to be following your surgeon's plan, even if you feel fine enough to advance yourself. A cup of chicken, potatoes, and carrots at less than three weeks is unheard of. The nerves in your stomach have been severed. That is why you feel ok with the quantities you are eating. But you are pushing your limits and could seriously injure yourself. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/18/16 1:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A few important points:

• You will not feel any sort of fullness this soon out. The nerves in your stomach have been cut and you won't feel anything until they've healed.

• Eating too much can be dangerous. You're still healing, and putting too much in your sleeve can quite literally blow a leak in it. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

• Carbs are generally No Bueno. We need to be eating protein first and foremost, and as few carbs as possible. Did your doctor give you a list of specific things you should be eating? I have seen very few actual eating plans that include mashed potatoes or rice.

• Are you drinking regular soda? Liquid calories are right out. Hydration is important, so your best bet is to stick to water, tea, and sugar-free drinks like Crystal Light.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

lorainesleev
on 8/18/16 1:19 pm
VSG on 07/30/16

hi!! im not drinking regular soda i just had  a few diet coke sips, not more. my firs meal is always a protein shake (isopure zero carbs) and mashed apple. my surgeons diet actually include any kind of vegetables including potatoes as long as they were mashed and i can include any type of protein in that mashed carrot with mashed chicken or beef (puree). for the rice i actually could eat "arroz con leche" its kind of a dessert and its liquid with rice on it but i could eat it since week 2 

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/16 7:09 pm - CA

Who is your surgeon? 

Most Active
Recent Topics