Constantly hungry 9 days post op

Kerig
on 8/17/16 9:07 am

I am constantly hungry.   I have to eat every two hours b/c I am more ravenously hungry than I ever was pre-op.  This morning, I decided that I needed more than a protein shake so I made myself a scrambled egg plus one 1/4 egg white.  So far, this 100 cal has filled me up and I think it will last a heck of a lot longer than 2 hours.  I am supposed to wait until 2 weeks post op to start "real" food, but I'm a fast healer  (I got my staples out 5 days post op).

Anyone who says that you can't feel hunger did not wake up in my bed this morning with a  hunger headache.

Keri

ladygodiva1228
on 8/17/16 10:26 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Are you on a PPI for acid?  Acid and dehydration really mimic hunger. 

Please be careful with eating before you are supposed to be.  You may think you heal fast, but you had a good portion of your stomach stapled and removed.  You could very well do damage to your new sleeve by eating food to early. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

heidikat72
on 8/17/16 10:36 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

about 7 days post op is when the head hunger hit me HARD. I had to keep reminding myself that I couldn't possibly be actually hungry and then distract myself with other activities - coloring, knitting, going for a walk. Also check your PPI dosage - like the poster above said, excess acid can mimic what we think of as hunger signals. are you getting in your full 64oz of fluids every day?

Donna L.
on 8/17/16 11:00 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

All of us feel hunger to varying degrees post-op, though I've never heard of ravenous physical hunger immediately post-op.  It isn't a given that it will go away.  Some people do still experience it.  Often it can be acid or has other causative factors.  Are you diabetic?  Low blood sugar is a common cause of hunger-related headaches.  Your medication may need adjustment if you are.  Definitely call the  bariatric program you used and let them know about the hunger and inquire about it.

As for waiting to start real food, I would caution you to be careful doing that without the physician's knowledge.  I would definitely consult them just in case.  It may not matter, but it is good to eliminate other factors in case there is damage, extra acid, etc.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

hollykim
on 8/17/16 11:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM Pacific Time, Meep wrote:

All of us feel hunger to varying degrees post-op, though I've never heard of ravenous physical hunger immediately post-op.  It isn't a given that it will go away.  Some people do still experience it.  Often it can be acid or has other causative factors.  Are you diabetic?  Low blood sugar is a common cause of hunger-related headaches.  Your medication may need adjustment if you are.  Definitely call the  bariatric program you used and let them know about the hunger and inquire about it.

As for waiting to start real food, I would caution you to be careful doing that without the physician's knowledge.  I would definitely consult them just in case.  It may not matter, but it is good to eliminate other factors in case there is damage, extra acid, etc.

all of us don't feel hunger post op. I haven't felt hunger in the 6 years since I was sleeved.

Kerig
on 8/17/16 2:08 pm

It's not stomach acid.   It's hunger.   For lunch I had an Ensure (HP).   That was at 12 noon.  then I had a decaf tea, and now it's 3pm and my stomach is growling and I am definitely hungry.  I am on 40 mg of pantolac, I don't think it's stomach acid.   I've experienced hunger since the day after surgery.   Man I wish I didn't experience hunger.

rocky513
on 8/17/16 4:03 pm - WI

Stomach noise after surgery is common and should not be confused with hunger.  IT'S NOT!!!!  You just had most of your stomach removed, it's going to rebel and make noise.  Some of us have noisy stomachs for the rest of our lives.  If I fed my "singing stomach" every time it made noise I would gain every pound back.  Don't feed the beast!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

TaylorMarie
on 8/17/16 4:26 pm
VSG on 08/09/16

I know I'm late to this party, but I had the SAME problem. My surgery was 8/9/16 and I had intense hunger from Day 2 post-op. I talked to my doctor about it yesterday, and he suggested it might be acid as well. I didn't believe him, but followed his directions to double my PPI. I haven't had that feeling of intense hunger at all since I did that. Not once.

I get it. I reallly didn't believe him. It didn't feel burning or like stomach acid, but like real, genuine hunger. Turns out, I was wrong. Maybe look into it?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/18/16 4:49 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Stomach acid is a big issue with the sleeve. In addition to increasing dosages, as you did, many have to try a few different PPIs before they find one that works.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Luvmygs
on 8/17/16 4:15 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

You really should still be on liquids at 9 days post op. You are still trying to heal internally. Be careful. I felt hunger after 9 days. It really didn't go away until I started on food.

Most Active
Recent Topics