Why do we have to take 30 minutes to eat a meal? Do you?

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/16 10:44 am
VSG on 07/11/16

Why did you edit out the most important part of the article you just posted? You know the part the has to do with the subject of the post, and the forum in general? Here it is!

How does gastric sleeve surgery affects ghrelin production?

While several bariatric procedures are limited to restrict the amount of food a person can eat at certain moment, the gastric sleeve surgery (like other procedures eg: gastric bypass) reduces the amount of ghrelin, which is produced in the stomach portion that is removed from the body and includes almost the entire gastric fundus, place where the main production of ghrelin takes place; it is calculated that the gastric fundus contains 10 to 20 times more ghrelin per gram of tissue of the organ than what is found in the duodenum the next major ghrelin source in the body.

Gastric sleeve surgery patients unlike other procedures like gastric banding, gastric plication, gastric balloon, etc. not only will they eat less because the capacity of the stomach is reduced by approximately 70% but also will feel more satiety between meals, so it's a great combination to combat the "appetite attacks" or "hunger pangs" and thus they will achieve adequate and sustained weight loss until they reach a weight closer to the ideal body weight. In other words after the gastric sleeve surgery the patient has less appetite and satiety is obtained earlier and will last for a longer period of time.

It has been found that blood ghrelin levels decrease significantly in patients undergoing gastric sleeve, this decrease is presented from the first postoperative day and lasts for more than 24 months after surgery unlike patients operated from procedures such as gastric band which have increased ghrelin levels in the same periods of time.

That is why the gastric sleeve surgery excess weight loss can be up to about 60% in only 6 to 18 months after surgery, unlike the gastric band in which the loss is highly variable and ranges from only 20 to 50% loss of excess weight at best.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/18/16 8:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Just because somebody puts it on the Internet doesn't mean that it's true. If you look at a LEGIT source, put out by people with research background and medical degrees, you'll see that your posted information is inaccurate.

From the NIH:

Ghrelin on the other hand is a fast-acting hormone, seemingly playing a role in meal initiation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17212793

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/16 12:19 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

Do you often dig up nearly 10 year old studies to attempt to refute more current ones, or are you just the type to grabs any source instead of accepting you might be mistaken. I swear anyone on this site who has adopTed the "hag" handle is really got some issues in the reasoning department. Go ahead, twist the subject, attempt to prove the earth is flat. Argue about the color blue, when the post is about why you need to make a meal last 30 minutes. I seriously have better things to do thsn argue with a much of... if anyone wants to know why they got information from their medical team, just as the group here, Lord knows they no more than your own professional group

on 8/18/16 12:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 18, 2016 at 7:19 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:

Do you often dig up nearly 10 year old studies to attempt to refute more current ones, or are you just the type to grabs any source instead of accepting you might be mistaken. I swear anyone on this site who has adopTed the "hag" handle is really got some issues in the reasoning department. Go ahead, twist the subject, attempt to prove the earth is flat. Argue about the color blue, when the post is about why you need to make a meal last 30 minutes. I seriously have better things to do thsn argue with a much of... if anyone wants to know why they got information from their medical team, just as the group here, Lord knows they no more than your own professional group

Twisting the subject is an interesting point to raise, seeing as we've gone from "ghrelin funtions differently than you suggest" to "you people have issues."

I'm all for changing my position if I can find good evidence in favor of someone else's opinion. I did a bit of digging and didn't find any studies to support your suggestion, I just quoted this one since the wording was most succinct of the articles I checked out. If you've got another citation to clarify the ghrelin - fullness connection, I'd actually quite like to see it.

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/16 1:28 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

Please go to the title of the post, it will clear up any confusion you might have on the subject- meals last 30 minutes after VGS. The gherlin got in the discussion from misinformation about why one needs to eat for 30 minutes. So, bringing up a 10 year old study, which frankly doesn't even address VGS, and was written in the dark ages of the procedure, is completely off subject. Point is, making a meal last 30 minutes (something not all teams recommend) is not because of hormones needing to send a signal to the brain to stop eating. Which is what I pointed out. It is about protecting the sleeve, and more importantly, digestion in the new stomach, and not over eating. I shouldn't have attacked the "hag" cult, however, many seem to be serial argues, and subject changes. I have gotten tons if private messages about them, when I call them out. You can check their posting, many are not on subject and simply inflammatory, looking to gain imaginary points, and not informative on the subject.

One of the huge advantage of the VGS is the removal of most of the gherlin from the stomach, not the body, but the stomach. Anyway, I try to back up any claim I make with reliabe sources, and don't pick and choose only ones that support my opinion, or cherry pick paragraphs out of articles, I am not accusing you of this action, but others do.

This is my final post, I have found far more helpful, and way more active VGS sites, thanks to the many who contacted me with support and let me know if the sites and why they hardly visit this one much. I hope everyone has a wonderful experience with their sleeves, and please take your advice first from your medical team, and research any advice that doesn't make sense.

on 8/18/16 1:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:

Please go to the title of the post, it will clear up any confusion you might have on the subject- meals last 30 minutes after VGS. The gherlin got in the discussion from misinformation about why one needs to eat for 30 minutes. So, bringing up a 10 year old study, which frankly doesn't even address VGS, and was written in the dark ages of the procedure, is completely off subject. Point is, making a meal last 30 minutes (something not all teams recommend) is not because of hormones needing to send a signal to the brain to stop eating. Which is what I pointed out. It is about protecting the sleeve, and more importantly, digestion in the new stomach, and not over eating. I shouldn't have attacked the "hag" cult, however, many seem to be serial argues, and subject changes. I have gotten tons if private messages about them, when I call them out. You can check their posting, many are not on subject and simply inflammatory, looking to gain imaginary points, and not informative on the subject.

One of the huge advantage of the VGS is the removal of most of the gherlin from the stomach, not the body, but the stomach. Anyway, I try to back up any claim I make with reliabe sources, and don't pick and choose only ones that support my opinion, or cherry pick paragraphs out of articles, I am not accusing you of this action, but others do.

This is my final post, I have found far more helpful, and way more active VGS sites, thanks to the many who contacted me with support and let me know if the sites and why they hardly visit this one much. I hope everyone has a wonderful experience with their sleeves, and please take your advice first from your medical team, and research any advice that doesn't make sense.

Good luck to you in the future, wherever you end up. Hope you can find somewhere that appreciates your own flavor of "high and mighty" doesn't question assertions that are backed up with a single (likely biased) link. :)

Grim_Traveller
on 8/18/16 1:37 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Yeah, your 'study" was more recent, but it was a blog post. I can find blog posts that insist the Earth is flat.

You are the one off topic. The reason for eating slowly has nothing to do with ghrelin.

Ghrelin is not the answer to everything. Both RNYers and VSGers need to eat slowly for the same reason, and it has nothing to do with ghrelin, since, according to you, VSGers have very little, and RNYers have a lot. Do you have a blog link to explain that?

If you think lack of ghrelin makes you not feel hungry, wouldn't lack of ghrelin also make you never feel full? It doesn't, because that's not the way it works.

I will give you credit where credit is due. Earlier you wrote that misinformation needs to be pointed out for others. And you are, again, misinformed.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kudzu
on 8/16/16 4:38 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

I can't make a meal last 30 minutes either, but I do sometimes make them last two or three hours because I can't hold much at one sitting now; 1-2 ounces is max for me. So, I stick it back in the fridge or just cover it for a later session with it. 

DiaMon
on 8/16/16 6:16 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I was told to eat slow, chew at least 20 times before swallowing and to NOT take longer than 20 minutes per meal. Whatever was left, would be left. I can manage pretty good now, but it's tough during summer (I teach the rest of the year) when we're on vacation because my family eats so quickly. I have to distract myself after every bite with my cell phone (which isn't the most appropriate, but hey it works)....  You'll find your whatever works for you eventually, but I'm sure reading other people's journeys/tips/advice will help and you can try stuff out to see what benefits you more accordingly. 

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

diane S.
on 8/17/16 12:31 am

Don't think there is a magic clock number.just eat slowly. This will change some as you get further out.. You just want to eat slowly to avoid discomfort.  But get in the habit of eating slowly - it will come in handy with more dense foods. Drink water ahead of time if yo feel you eat too fast.  Gl  dianeS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics