1 week post-op, when did you first feel your sleeve "work"?

suebee411
on 8/15/16 6:13 pm

Hello all!

I'm so happy to be here finally ?

I had my vsg a week ago and everything is going well. Off pain pills 2 days after surgery, no nausea, no vomiting, no heartburn. I'm very relieved of course, but I can't help but wonder...when will I feel my sleeve working? I know it's different for everyone, but i'm curious...

When did YOU have that first moment when you thought, "OH! I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!"? And what was the feeling?

Thanks so much for your support!!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/15/16 6:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Check the indicator lights. When all three are green, it's working. One yellow and two green are still ok. If any are red, you need to get checked out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dimpleslya79
on 8/15/16 6:47 pm
VSG on 08/09/16

You must have read my mind!  I had VSG a week ago as well and was wondering the same thing.  At this point in time, I feel like nothing has changed and I don't know if that is bad or good...lol.  However, I have come to the conclusion that maybe once we get off liquids and start eating "real" food, we will have the other feelings return.  And then we will get fuller, quicker.  At least that is what I am hoping 

MissNexxie
on 8/15/16 8:17 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

The nerves in your stomach have been cut so you will not have that "full" feeling for some time.  It is extremely important/crucial/critical that you follow the food plan/stages and portions explicitly.  Do not eat more than the recommended small portions, and do it slowly (over at least 20 mins, even the protein shakes), as you can seriously damage your sleeve by overeating.  Just because you cannot feel the incision doesn't mean it's not there. It needs around 6 weeks to heal.

The idea is to under-eat your sleeve, not test its limits.  Stay in line with recommended portions, most especially the first couple months, but, truthfully, on an ongoing basis for the sleeve to work for you.  You will very much regret the first time you have that "oh crap, I never want to do that again" experience.  It is extremely unpleasant, painful, tight, almost crushing feeling and something to avoid.  Having it happen before the sleeve is healed could mean a trip to emergency, if you damage your staple line.

Yes, I sound like Chicken Little, and yes, you need to be very aware.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

luvmypuggies
on 8/15/16 8:45 pm

Congrats on your surgery - I'm glad your recovery is going so well.  I suspect that you will notice your sleeve working when you start to have pureed food, or anything that's not totally liquid (that was the case for me).  We all remember our "first time" (search for "foamies") overdoing it, which is your sleeve telling you in no uncertain terms that you need to back off. :)   Do not pu**** - with such a tiny capacity, even one more little bite can put you over the top very easily (unlike the old days with normal capacity), so you'll learn to read your tummy's signals really well.

Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 8/16/16 7:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

When I started solid foods.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

KTnj63
on 8/16/16 8:50 am
VSG on 07/07/16

I am 6 weeks post op and have never had any true discomfort since the day after surgery.  I took pain pills on my first day home and never need them again.  I have no acid reflux I take no antacid I was driving and back to work 4 days after surgery.  I have been able to consistently get in my water and eat 3 meals a day. My daughter is convinced the surgeon didn't do the vsg.  Lol.  I measure all my meals and have never had a signal to stop.  I just eat what I am supposed to. My surgeon progressed to soft proteins earlier than most at my 1 week post op visit.  I lost 13 pounds at 1 week visit and I am waiting for my dr appt on 8/22 to weigh myself again.  Fortunately I know I am losing because my clothes are too big now.  This is how I know my sleeve is working!!  Good luck on your journey !!  

DiaMon
on 8/16/16 6:30 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I had several different instances when I knew my sleeve was like "Whoa girl, hold up a minute and let's talk about pain... Pain, pain, pain..." The first time was right in the hospital the day after surgery when I was allowed my first full liquids "meal" after my barium swallow... I had never ever been so thirsty in my life so, as soon as I saw the tray I went right in for iced water, didn't take a big gulp or anything, just a very small sip...... The world of pain I was in (probably because the water was SO cold) for the following hour was horrible. I kept sipping because I was insisted upon to continue because, well hello, my IV was to be taken off.... The pain continued for the next few days.... I knew the sleeve was... "Working". 

2nd time.... The moment I first tried solid food, I was so excited because I had poached myself an egg.. First bite and I was done eating. LOL YUCK and ouch.

3rd time, I've always been a protein/grilling type of woman. So it was father's day I believe and I wasn't to my 3 months quite yet and I decided to try just the TINIEST piece of New York steak. BAD BAD BAD BAD SUPER BAD CHOICE. The other times that I was in pain DO NOT COMPARE to this. My whole body felt awful, I wanted to vomit but couldn't, I felt I had to go take a number two but couldn't, I felt my stomach was going to explode but didn't. I knew from that point that I NEVER EVER wanted to feel that EVER again.

And the fourth and last time was because I went out to TGIF a bit after a year of surgery and something in that nice restaurant didn't agree with me. I spent the following 3 days vomiting and with diarrhea, and when I was finally up to trying solids again... My stomach was tighter than before. LOL So... Yeah it works and it had it's ways of reminding you when you least expect it.

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

jcg526fit
on 8/17/16 6:45 am

Good morning to all,

Congrats on your surgery!  I am 4 months post op and feeling great.  I have to say I felt my sleeve worked early on just by drinking the required liquids amount it was difficult.  I measured everything at the very beginning no more than 4 ozs; usually, I couldn't do more than 3oz.  I can now do 4oz without a problem - I just can't go over that amount.  I can tolerate everything except chicken breast it's probably too dry it just sits in my chest and slowly trickles down. 

I have no regrets.  I am as happy as a clam with my decision to have the sleeve.  I'm down 55lbs. half way to my goal of 110lbs. 

Best of luck to you...just follow all of your doctor's directions and you will do great!  You will reap all the benefits of your life changing decision!

Jeffshaw
on 8/22/16 9:47 am

Just stick to the rules and you should not experience any Oh No moments.

You read many different comments from both sides, Lots of OH No's and " Did I do the right thing".

Also many posts of " Had no problems", "Love my sleeve".

Those that had successful surgeries and followed the rules to the letter have the least amount of post op issues.

Don't be afraid to say no or empty your food in the trash can once you have had enough. This can be hard for some people but just get in the habit of doing it. One mouthful over and it's OH NO.

Some programs get patients on soft solids too soon I think which has resulted in OH NO posts, Others don't allow it until week 4.

Mine was a week 4 program and I have had no issues.

You also have to slowly graduate to differnt foods, trying a different one a day so you can isolate what you can tolerate and what you can't.

This is a lifestyle change that you are ultimately working on not a quick fix. Those that did not sort out their eating issues and or underlying psycological issues prior to VSG or any WLS are destine to failure.

Most Active
Recent Topics