What to bring to the hospital

Starlene02
on 8/14/16 12:12 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

Good Luck on your surgery! It's a very scary thing to face, or at least it was for me. I don't regret it what so ever though.

1) Loose, comfy clothes. I wore the same clothes home that I wore to the hospital. I was too uncomfortable to change out of my hospital gown while I was there so the same clothes was fine. Also, wear shoes that take no effort to get on your feet! Something you can just slip on.

2) Something to cover up while walking the halls. My husband simply helped me slip on my sweat pants when it was time to walk the halls so I never needed more than the clothes I wore there. Other options are a bathrobe and some even use an extra gown turned backwards.

3) Pillow or something to hold pressure on your abdomen for the drive home. Some hospitals offer the pressure wrap. In this case this may not be needed. I had a long drive home and had to take a hospital pillow to help my stomach not feel like it was going to split open.

4) Wipes. You won't be able to take a shower and this will help you feel cleaner and make wiping easier. Sometimes they allow you to take a shower on day 2 which the hospital will provide what you need for that. However, I felt pretty sore and had no energy so I opted to wait until I got home.

5) Personal Care Items. As I said, you will feel very rough so not much is needed. I packed my toothbrush and toothpaste, wipes, eye drops since I have dry eye, moisturizer because my face has to have it, and chap stick. That's all I needed really. Honestly you'll spend most of your time asleep so not much is needed.

6) Phone, Charger, iPad. No longer than I was awake my phone was enough to keep me occupied.

7) List of Meds, CPAP if you have that or any daily things you have to have. You don't actually need to bring your meds. The hospital will provide what you need but you will need to let them know what that is.

You shouldn't need more than a small bag. I hope everything goes well for you.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/14/16 5:53 pm

Chapstick and a book. Everything else was provided.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/15/16 5:38 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Feel free to read thru this post on my blog :)

Hospital Stuff for Surgery 

Kind of lengthy, but I put together about a month after I had surgery :D

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Murk
on 8/16/16 6:30 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

Sports bra or other wireless bra. I'm one who can't go without supporting the girls and so I made sure to wear one to and from the hospital. Regular bras will rub against the highest incision and hurt like crazy. If you wear an underwire bra to the hospital be prepared to go bra-less on the way home.

Kathy S.
on 8/17/16 9:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Pams-A-Changing
on 8/20/16 8:49 am
VSG on 08/17/16

Thank you all for the great advice.  Home now and recovering, which is a full time job!  A sip of water... a sip of protein drink.... repeat, repeat, repeat!  

HW  326

SW  310

CW  252

Most Active
Recent Topics