What to bring to the hospital

Pams-A-Changing
on 8/13/16 9:49 pm
VSG on 08/17/16

Hi All!   I am scheduled for VSG on Wednesday 8/17/16 and am looking for some good advice on what to bring to the hospital.  Actually, it is not really a hospital -- it is a "surgery center".  I check in at 7:30 am on Wednesday and expect to go home Thursday between 7 & 8 am, so really I am not there very long at all.  The doctor's office said bring my ID and insurance card and that is the only instruction I have on what to bring.   What made your stay comfortable, or what did you wish you had with you?    Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

HW  326

SW  310

CW  252

Felynn
on 8/14/16 4:05 am
VSG on 02/24/16

Your not going to need much just a change of loose comfortable clothing to go home in 

good luck 

pr31
on 8/14/16 4:24 am

I wore the same clothes home that I wore to the hospital. I brought much more but the only the I really needed was fresh undies, Chapstick, a comb/brush and my phone.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Tbaker0311
on 8/14/16 4:26 am
VSG on 08/12/16

Hi Pam. I'm just got home from the same thing. I was at a surgical center in celebration Florida. Everyone is different but...

1. Chapstick. Your mouth is so dry.  You get ice and Popsicles and water and broth but your lips are dry too. 
  2. I brought my iPad and I'm so glad I did. I was up all night. When I wasn't walking I was bored. The iPad helped. 
  3. Loose clothing. I was able to wear my own clothes instead of the hospital gown. That was nice. 
  4. Wipes.  You can't shower. 
  5. Listerine breath strips. 

Absolutely most importantly. Gas x strips. I didn't know about these until I got home. Gas pain is almost worse than the surgical pain. Well it lasts longer. Has to be strips. I walked my ass off and the gas pain was still a monster. I took the gas x strips ans it immediately became manageable. Take em with you. 

Good luck!!!

tim

White Dove
on 8/14/16 5:23 am - Warren, OH

Everything above, plus make sure you have the chargers for your phone and tablet.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kudzu
on 8/14/16 5:53 am
VSG on 07/28/16

I wanted my toothbrush. I invested in some biotene toothpaste, mouthwash and mouth spray that seemed to help keep my mouth moist. I didn't use my electronic devices, but had them with me just in case. It was a must that as soon as they brought me from recovery that I put on my own clothing; which was a night gown. I was on telemetry for the night, so I had to carry around that little box when I walked, but so worth not having one of those stiff and cumbersome hospital gowns on. Bring a robe if you do that, you'll be prancing around the halls doing your walk thing. Good luck.

cappy11448
on 8/14/16 8:06 am

I'd suggest traveling light.  Most of the stuff I brought was not needed.  I am glad I brought  my pajamas so I could get out of the hospital jonnie!  I brought my IPAD and lots of books  and puzzles, but I slept most of the time in the hospital.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Renren
on 8/14/16 8:15 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Hospital gowns sometimes open up too much in the back, so I was glad that I brought a pair of super baggy shorts for walks

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

McLassie
on 8/14/16 8:48 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Less is more! My hospital provided toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash and hygiene wipes, as well as a gown, robe, and slippers. I brought my iPad (which I didn't use), phone, extra long charger, change of underwear, hair brush, glasses (that I didn't use), and Gas-X strips. The Gas-X strips did not help me one iota, and I assumed as much because the gas pain is from CO2 inside your peritoneum. Walking helps with that pain, and time helps more. 

Hopefully you'll be sleeping, sipping, and walking in the hospital. It really does go by fast and you won't have time to get too bored.

honeywell
on 8/14/16 10:28 am

My very best advice, get some Biotene mouth spray! You will definitely need something for dry mouth. I don't know what I would have done without it! I used my Gas-X strips a few times, also. But, all in all, I didn't need anything else. I just wore my hospital gown and slipper socks to walk the halls. No care. Haha! Also, didn't care what my hair looked like, so it stayed in a bun. Trust me, you'll be uncomfortable and not concerned with your looks. 

Most Active
Recent Topics