The Struggle is Real! I am Super Newbie

Zaftig2Svelte
on 8/13/16 7:56 pm
VSG on 07/26/16

Hello, newbie here and thanking the almighty that OH exists! Okay wow! VSG completed on 7/26/2016.  Surgery went well.  Had the usual pain and gas.  Walked it out.  Had trouble the 2nd night with getting liquids in too tight and internal swelling prevented me from drinking. Had the foamies and the clear liquids just sat until I was given anti nausea and pepcid. Since home progress has been slow but steady. Still feeling pain on the right side, especially when sitting upright.  Standing and laying down feel okay.  Eating is a CHORE! I measure out everything 2oz-4oz depending on protein and density.  For instance, protein shakes, blenderized soups 4oz go down okay, refried beans 2oz take work.  I can take a couple of bites and whoa really, really full. I'm using a baby spoon and chewing at least 30x and timing rests between spoonfuls.  There is an app on my iphone under bariatric timers.  Since I started using it I am a little more comfortable.  Sitting at the table feels tight on the right side of my abdomen and starts to muscle cramp if I don't stretch. This pain wraps around to my back.  Anyone experience this??? I'm almost 3 weeks out. OH has been super helpful thus far. I've picked up so much useful information by reading previous threads---especially ones regarding under eating my sleeve.  I stalled for about a week and started to freak out  until the scale moved almost 5lbs down today.  I was like, okay I'm barely eating so what is going on?  I read on one of the forums that your body needs protein to burn the fat.  So I made sure to get more protein in and then the next day boom there it is.  Taking it one day at a time!!!

Best,

Zaftig2Svelte 

alemap67
on 8/14/16 6:54 am
VBG on 08/05/16

Hi there!  I'm new too, surgery was August 5th.  Seems like we are experiencing some of the same things.  I too am having pain along the right side in certain positions, to me it feels like a did a really good ab workout!  As far as eating and food goes I'm tolerating everything, no nausea, no vomiting and feel pretty good when done, but I also felt discouraged because my weight had stayed the same since day 4 of post op.  So frustrating!   So I did what you did, increased my protein 2 days ago by adding refried beans and a very chopped up hardboiled egg and BAM the scale is down 2.5 this morning!  This totally makes sense, with all the walking I've been doing, I needed more food!  

One day at a time...we've got this!

McLassie
on 8/14/16 8:42 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Congrats on your surgery! I had mine the day before you did. I'm not having any trouble eating (purees at this point) or with any pain. Sorry you're having that experience.

I've been in a stall for almost a week, but today it moved down just over half a pound, so I'm excited that it might start moving in the right direction again. Stalls happen to everyone and it's very frustrating. 

Welcome to the group!

cmarylose
on 8/14/16 7:17 pm

Hi 

All of you... this is the dreaded and very famous "3 week stall".  Type those words into the search window and watch the thousands of hits you'll receive.  Stalling is completely NORMAL.  You're body is adjusting to a radical new routine.  Almost everyone experiences a stall early in the process.  

Now be aware, this will not be your last stall!  You will lose like you gained... in fits and starts.  DON'T WORRY ABOUT A STALL .  Just keep following your plan, YES, follow the plan and the weight loss will start up again. 

good luck 

"Well behaved women rarely make history!"  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/15/16 3:07 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I was a newbie 4.5 months ago.  I weigh once a month to avoid having to be discouraged by stalls which for most are a natural occurrence during weight loss.  

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

rachelp
on 8/15/16 7:54 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I started my stall on my second week. Back away from the scale. It's what I had to do. There's really nothing we can do about it right now other than follow our plan so no point in driving ourselves crazy. I get the side paints too. Like the ones you get when running. I have no clue why.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Lemily
on 8/15/16 9:21 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Hey there,

Sounds like you are on the right track for success and doing everything right. That scale, she's a bi-otch. Take your measurements so when the scale stops, you can still see the difference! But still weigh every day or your regularly scheduled intervals. It will keep you on track. If you are looking for diversity and can eat dairy, I would take a Yoplait light and fit greek yogurt with me to work ( I do not like the other brands), and eat 2 ounces of the 4 ounce container at separate times. I ate with a baby spoon too and made sure I ate 2 ounces spread over 1/2 an hour and then stopped (if I wasn't full already).

Im not a doctor, your pain sounds like your gall bladder, which is common to go after you lose a lot of weight. It could just be gas etc, but I would call your surgeon just to find out. Especially if its happening after you eat. The pain for me (which I had out post-second baby but a year and half before VSG) would be just that. Be right under my right boob area, travel to the back and felt like I was having a heart attack, or like there was a piece of wood in between my rib cage that just kept squeezing. Definitely keep an eye on that. Again its very common for this to go when you lose weight rapidly.

Keep up the good work. I found this site while I was home recovering and lots of people - vets and new - gave a lot of good advice and guidance.

Zaftig2Svelte
on 8/26/16 5:38 pm
VSG on 07/26/16

Thanks for all the amazing insight! Just had my 4 week appt with my surgeon.  I am right on track and oddly enough one day this past week I woke up and ALL pain had ceased.  So happy that I can finally be pain free!

Best,

Zaftig2Svelte 

Most Active
Recent Topics