Mental Health and surgery

tuxedopants
on 8/10/16 11:43 am

Hi all,

After doing a lot of my own research, I decided that VSG would be a better choice for me than RNY, but my surgeon does not agree. One of my concerns was how the malabsorption from the RNY would affect how my psych meds are absorbed, but the surgeon didn't seem concerned with this at all. I was also concerned with how the drastic changes in lifestyle from RNY could be destabilizing for my mental health (the VSG seems less extreme). 

If you've had the sleeve (or RNY), wondering how you coped with your mental health and were there any changes to your mental health after surgery?

Thanks!

Chilipepper
on 8/10/16 11:49 am

Some are absorbed in the stomach and some are absorbed in the intestines.  What meds are you on? Most of us are on some kind of meds. If your surgeon thinks a bypass would benefit you more I would consider his opinion and know that adjustments can be made in your medications. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

tuxedopants
on 8/10/16 12:54 pm

I'm taking Effexor and Mirtazapine. The issue is, it's taken over 3 years of trying different meds to get me on the right combo that finally works for me, so I don't want to have to start making adjustments now. 

Chilipepper
on 8/10/16 1:13 pm

Neither of those are absorbed in the stomach.  I would have a conversation with your surgeon but as far as absorption is concerned. No issues with those meds. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

acbbrown
on 8/10/16 12:16 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Trust your own instincts. Don't let a doctor convince you to do a surgery you aren't comfortable with. 

My mental health has been all over the place since surgery. I had a lot of unresolved issues prior to surgery. I thought getting thin and healthy would make my life all better but I was dead wrong. I had major depressive episodes that landed me jn the hospital at my lowest post op weight. I wish I had dealt with my issues better especially for food related issues way before having surgery but I'm dealing with them now and am in the best place mentally than I've ever been in. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Chilipepper
on 8/10/16 12:53 pm

Not agreeing doesn't mean he is trying to convince.  Her issues are different that yours. 

tuxedopants
on 8/10/16 1:03 pm

My depression does not seem to be directly related to my issues with food (at least I think). In the past, when I've lost a lot of weight on a very restrictive diet, I wasn't any happier when I was skinnier. Actually, I think I was less happy. But anyways, I am meeting with the psychiatrist in the program in a few weeks so I hope that will help. My anxiety is sometimes related to my size (ie. worrying about flights because I don't know if I will fit in the seat, etc.) so that MAY improve with weight loss, but I agree, it is good to prepare before the surgery. 

happyteacher
on 8/10/16 1:26 pm

I am a sleever. I think the sleeve does affect absorption rates personally. I have a goofy metabolism and a *****allenged in that area (cacner patient). I can' advise you one way or another as to which is better for you, but I would absolutely research the heck out of the medicine absorption question that you have. Track down SparkleKitty- she is very knoweldgable on this topic.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Kelly L.
on 8/10/16 2:19 pm

Did your Dr say why he prefers the RNY over the Sleeve?   I had the VSG because I didn't want any malabsorbtion due to being on bipolar meds, plus I have IBS.   I just also didn't feel comfortable with the long term affects of the RNY.   Ultimately the decision is yours, so I hope he respects your wishes.

-Flo-
on 8/10/16 3:47 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Do the surgery you are comfortable with. Mental health issues are a valid concern for wanting the VSG. With the RNY you would have to play with your meds to get the right dose. I'm assuming you are on Effexor XR which would have to be changed to immediate release. It can be done and you may not have any complications but if it is not something that you want to risk, don't. 

Most Active
Recent Topics