Dont want to loose any more weight

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/16 10:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There are lots of other components to this question. But as far as losing more weight with RNY, there is no reason you need to. After you're fully healed from surgery, you'll be able to eat enough to GAIN weight if you aren't careful.

Our stats are fairly similar, and I'd be willing to bet that we each eat about the same portions, even though I had RNY.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacyrg
on 8/9/16 10:48 am
VSG on 05/12/14

A few points.  I revised to RNY from VSG to cure severe GERD on 7/1.  I was basically at goal when I had my surgery and my surgeon told me I was unlikely to lose any significant weight.  I told him I wanted to drop about 15lbs (I had gained a few leading up to my surgery because crackers were literally the only thing that helped to control the acid) and he told me it could take me up to a year to lose that amount.  So, coming from someone who has had the revision surgery, I think losing a significant amount of weight should not be high on your concern list.  

As far as the hiatal hernia; It was discovered during one of my tests that I had developed a hiatal hernia post VSG.  However, my hernia was small and repairing it alone would not have resolved my reflux (which was determined to be 409% higher than normal).  I would suggest that you take the size of the hernia into consideration when making a determination whether to convert to RNY.  If it is on the smaller side, you may not get the results you desire with hernia repair alone and will have undergone surgery for nothing.

As far as some of the other remedies suggested; there is no amount of sleeping on my left side, giving up aspartame, not drinking snapple or anything else that would have resolved my symptoms.  If your symptoms are severe enough to warrant a suggestion from a surgeon to convert to RNY, they likely are pretty severe.  I know that the only way I could sleep was sitting up, it wasn't a question of sleeping on my left v. right side.  Drinking plain water caused acid . . . hell breathing air caused acid.  I'm not suggesting that you ignore all non-surgical suggestions, just stating that there is no way any non-surgical solutions would have worked for me.

And finally, just a point of contention . . . I abhor the suggestion that GERD post sleeve is somehow caused by improper surgical technique, or a poorly constructed "system."  My sleeve was PERFECT (as confirmed by more than one doctor).  There is not a surgeon out there who would look at my tests, including manometry, pH testing, UGI and endoscopy and criticize my sleeve, surgeon or his technique.  There's more than one surgeon out there who knows how to construct a proper sleeve, from throat to intestines.  This is just a pet peeve of mine. 

Chilipepper
on 8/9/16 11:15 am

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/16 12:47 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is a FANTASTIC answer. I could kiss you right on the mouth.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacyrg
on 8/9/16 12:49 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I don't want to face the wrath of JB!  Although, I'm an inch taller and could probably take her down!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/16 2:37 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

She's mighty feisty. I wouldn't want to fight her myself.

6'3" tall, male.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/9/16 1:52 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Great post!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

happyteacher
on 8/18/16 4:00 pm

I agree on all counts of your post!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Chilipepper
on 8/9/16 11:33 am

"My doctor wants to revise me to the bypass. ". I would follow your surgeons instructions. He knows what's best for you. They usually don't recommend revisions unless it's medically necessary. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

diane S.
on 8/12/16 11:45 am

my husband had hiatal hernia repair about 6 months after vsg. no talk of revision. Surgeon looks for hiatal hernias and repairs them during vsg but he says its not unusual for one to appear after quite a bit of weight is lost - he things the fat holds everything in place and things move around when the fat is lost.  Anyway he had the repair and sleeve tightened a bit at the top. Worked out well. He also sleeps with his head somewhat elevated and that helps a lot.    gl    diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics