So much reflux my voice is hoarse

PS0705
on 8/8/16 11:09 am
VSG on 08/04/16

I just had surgery 8/4/16 so this is all new.  I had occasional reflux before surgery and no problems with it (that I could tell) immediately after surgery and my voice was normal until yesterday (3 days post-op).

Reflux set in yesterday and so did a high tight hoarse voice.  I am starting on pepcid per my doctor today.

Anyone else have this issue?  What helped? What made it worse?

I'm a speech teacher and NEED my voice 

Thanks!

P

* This is cross posted from the general board.  Hoping someone here can help.

Anita
on 8/8/16 2:11 pm

are you drinking water or something else? I find that Diet Snapple or Crystal Light give me terrible reflux when I lie down / sleep. Also, are you sleeping on your right side? That caused me problems too.

I had a hiatal hernia repair when I had my surgery so the doctor has me on Nexium for the first 3 months.....so far, so good except for the day I drank too much diet peach Snapple.

good luck....I hope this clears up for you soon and that everything goes back to normal.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

PS0705
on 8/8/16 3:42 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks for the response Anita :)

I just drink water and it has to room temperature right now or it hurts for some reason. I'm a plain eater and drinker - I don't add anything to my drinks or food.

I'll try sleeping on my left side - currently I'm all over the place tossing and turning.

Thank you for the suggestions - I really appreciate it!!

P

Anita
on 8/8/16 5:51 pm

Try some ho****er......like a chamomile tea before bed time....peppermint also helps me. I'm all over at night too, but as long as I don't sleep on my right side all night, I'm okay.

Did your doctor tell you to take Pepcid or was that your choice? I find that the best option for me is Nexium.

Anita
on 8/8/16 5:52 pm

I also forgot to mention that I was hoarse after surgery too......that could also be from the intubation and the anestesia

happyteacher
on 8/8/16 7:02 pm

Might it be related to a breathing tube of sorts from surgery? Keeping my fingers crossed that it heals quickly for you or you find something to assist with the acid issues. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

PS0705
on 8/9/16 3:20 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks for taking your time to reply HappyTeacher :)

I don't think it's from the intubation since my voice was fine right out of surgery through 3 days later.  If there was going to be swelling it would have happened sooner than later - I think?

Also my stomach started really hurting and burning, like I took step backwards in my recovery.

Today seems better with my Tums by my side.

PS0705
on 8/8/16 5:57 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

My Dr.  said Pepcid and Tums. I have my 1 week follow up in 2 days so I can ask him about the Nexium.

That should give the Pepcid time to work - or not.

Thanks for the info.

:)

Tracy D.
on 8/9/16 1:26 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I ended up with fairly severe reflux post-VSG; I didn't have it before.  I had to try several different meds before we hit on one tha worked and that I wasn't allergic to (Protonix).  

Things that make/made mine worse:  any cold liquids, lukewarm or room temp to this day is better for me; anything with artificial sweetener in it including sugar-free popsicles; tomatoes; bananas; anything fried; eating too fast or eating too much; eating less than 2 hours before bedtime;  

I know some of these things probably aren't an issue for you yet (fried foods, etc.).  See if the Pepcid helps. It could take awhile to calm everything down.  If you don't any improvement in a week then insist on something stronger. 

Good luck - I know this stinks! :-( 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

PS0705
on 8/9/16 2:25 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks Tracy. It's a relief to know that this may be manageable.

This morning was better a couple hours after my pepcid dose.  It's been on/off today but my voice returned to normal for most of the day. 

YAY!

BTW- LOVE your stats! Congratulations!!

Most Active
Recent Topics